How to hit a rise ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I only played softball, but was fortunate enough to hit off a baseball pitcher as well. I agree picking up the ball from pitchers hand, much easier in baseball. Regardless high heat is really tough to hit, baseball or softball, and the hot zone diagrams prove that. I am confident that hot zone diagrams would show the samething for softball. Be selective with < 2 strikes, look for a hitters pitch.
I never hit fastpitch but as a lefty you probably wouldn't have much fun trying to pick up the ball (or hit in general) against Chris Sale (or the like) with his arm slot (the ball would be released from almost behind you :LOL: )

In any case hitting high pitches with velocity is difficult regardless.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Perhaps pattar your perspective, or point you were trying to make, high fast pitch is harder to hit, so stay away from it.

My perspective is dont have a weakness in your hitting !
Learn to hit a rise ball.
Take that advantage away from the pitcher.
( dont let a pitcher have an advantage over you as a hitter.)

No i would not agree high fast pitch is hard to hit for everyone.
Batters can have different strengths & weaknesses.
As i said befor...
Successful hitters can hit everything!

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Perhaps pattar your perspective, or point you were trying to make, high fast pitch is harder to hit, so stay away from it.
Yes.
My perspective is dont have a weakness in your hitting !
Agreed, in principle you want to hit every pitch location equally well. That said, the reality is that I showed you that even the best hitters in the world have a "weakness" relatively speaking so as a hitter you want to minimize the number of times you swing at those pitches..that is all I am saying.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Yes.

Agreed, in principle you want to hit every pitch location equally well. That said, the reality is that I showed you that even the best hitters in the world have a "weakness" relatively speaking so as a hitter you want to minimize the number of times you swing at those pitches..that is all I am saying.
Yuppers but....runner on 3rd less than 2 outs less than 2 strikes I'm sitting on something waist up

Jun 8, 2016
Yuppers but....runner on 3rd less than 2 outs less than 2 strikes I'm sitting on something waist up
Depends on the inning and score...if you are down by 3 runs in the 7th the other team will gladly trade a run for an out.. ;)

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
To me you are always trying to make hard contact with the middle of the ball. Hitters hit. Don’t create a different goal.

”Fouling off pitches” with two strikes never resonated with me. And while I have praised players for long at bats, hitting the first pitch for a double to the gap is more valuable than a 12 pitch at bat that results in a k or even a bb.
I also like the 12 pitch at bat that results in a double to the gap

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Depends on the inning and score...if you are down by 3 runs in the 7th the other team will gladly trade a run for an out.. ;)

Maybe I should try to get something inside so I can hit it to 3rd with the same batting average ? ;)

1588339850255.png

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
What is your point? In the situation I gave you want baserunners so the hitter with less than two strikes should be looking for a pitch he/she has the best chance of getting a hit..
My role is to drive in runs. Not looking to be a baserunner when my odds are 25% at the worst and 30% at the best. If I end up being a baserunner, awesome. :p

Jun 8, 2016
My role is to drive in runs. Not looking to be a baserunner when my odds are 25% at the worst and 30% at the best. If I end up being a baserunner, awesome. :p
Good luck with that strategy. I know you are trying to take an old-school anti-sabermetric view here but baseball has operated under basically this same premise for 100+ years..you don't give up outs late in the game when you are down by more than 1 or 2 runs...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812