how to help DD be the leader the team needs.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Tell her to lead through example and positive encouragement, not criticism. Hustle on every play and be respectful to coaches, even when they're not looking. Help everyone understand what needs to be done, but don't order people around. Pick team mates up when they're not doing well, and let the coaches do the coaching.

I agree with this thought as well. Although DD is currently out with an injury, her college coach has asked her to attend practices and help out with things. She has somewhat of a leadership role, even though she will not be playing this year. All throughout high school she had no choice but to work on her leadership skills. She pitched for a team on which she was the only travel ball player. The rest of the team looked towards her for that leadership. Looking back on things, one of my focuses all throughout her development had been finding ways to help her hone her leadership skills. And, while I would like to think I had something to do with it, to be honest I think most of it came from some of her role models. As one of the better players on a younger team in an organization, she often had opportunities to play up with an older team. Two players in particular had very good leadership skills and took a liking to DD. She spent a lot of time with them and I see some of their personality in her. I believe their mentoring had more to do with her current leadership aptitude than anything I did. If you have any opportunities to have your daughter in a similar situation, I think it would definitely help. But its a matter of being around the right people; an older friend, a cousin, an older player... It doesn't even need to be softball related. Just spending time with a quality mentor can really provide a positive environment.

I'm not sure most teenagers/high school students realize the type of impact they can have on younger kids. When DD was 9 years old her and I were at the local field practicing. The high school pitcher at that time came over and started giving her pointers (completely unsolicited). Anything I could possibly say was completely worthless compared to what this high school pitcher did in 15 minutes. I'm not sure DD blinked the entire time...

Jul 14, 2018
All throughout high school she had no choice but to work on her leadership skills. She pitched for a team on which she was the only travel ball player. The rest of the team looked towards her for that leadership.

And this is why we do it -- pay for lessons and TB, get up at ungodly hours on weekends, spend long summer days baking in the sun, skip out on vacations, etc. Playing a team sport can impart lifelong lessons and set a person up to be successful for the rest of their lives.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
The bottom line is, it can't be forced.

Jun 14, 2018
This is something I have talked with DD about a few times. In-fact we talked about it just last night. At practice she was just going through the motions and not working in my opinion. At the same time she was goofing off when the coach was talking and distracting the other players.

In our talk I told her she needed to button that up. Her response " Dad I am not a leader and I do not want to be the leader. You have told me several times in the past that I am not a coach and I should not be telling girls how to do something." I then had to explain to her that "coaching" the others has nothing to do with being a leader. It is her attitude when she makes a mistake, the way she pushes herself at practice, she has to pick players up after mistakes and not berate them like she had done on her last team.

She called me tonight to tell me she has been thinking about it and wanted to know if I knew of a book she could read that would help her figure it out. I told her I did not but would reach out to everybody on here to see what they had.

So if any of you all have books geared towards teenagers on leadership please send them over!

Apr 28, 2014
At first year 14s our coaches tried to "anoint" 2 girls as leaders. I was helping on the bench and wondered why they chose who they chose. I just didn't see it, but at the time they were the two "best " players. Fast forward 2 years later and one of them doesn't play anymore and the other didn't make the team this tryout season. Two of the more reserved girls who weren't as skilled but hardworking became the leaders organically.

May 5, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Awesome comments on youth leadership...

As many of you know, team leaders don't just use their words to encourage or show congratulations... they give high fives, a pat on the shoulder, hugs, glove slaps, smiles, thumbs up...

Those little gestures can mean soo much more than words.

One of my youth pitching students told me she was sorta frustrated...

After a little chat... she told me that "... My new team's infielders... never come over to the circle and give me a glove slap... like last years team used to do..."

So then I asked her if she could start running over to the infielders... after they make a great play or if they made an error... and give them a glove slap... and some words of encouragement or congrats!

She said "YES... I can do that!"

Then at our next pitching session... she told me with a big grin... "all the infielders started "glove slapping" each other... and the infielders also came to the circle to give me and "all of the other pitchers" a glove slap.." (and also words of encouragement or congratulation)

"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader." - John Quincy Adams

May 6, 2015
update, Fri night practice and this tourney some mixed results regarding leadership by DD.

fri night, lots of players were missing "gotta have" plays (coaches term), ie ground balls under gloves, etc. coach said for rest of practice, 5 burpees for each gotta have missed in coaches judgement. DD did the burpees along with whichever teammate had just missed a gotta have. :)

weekend tourney (added last minute) was rough, #1 pitcher (and she is #1 by large margin) our to due to hand injury in MS FH, got hit by stick. DD could not be their for 3rd pool game, soccer game. tourney was added last minute because TD put out free entry, he had a team drop out last minute, pretty much high B and A level teams.

Sat before we had to leave, 0-2, 1st game was blowout, second game more competitive, but then after pitching change in top of 5th, down 3, defense had a lot of mistakes. once during game, pitcher had ball (that she probably needs to learn to let through, hard hit on edge of circle) come off her glove, goes to recover, falls down, tries for non force play at 3rd from knees, throws ball over 3B head, runner scores. Pitcher is in tears, mixture of knee pain and embarassment. DD goes out and gets her to calm down, get head back in game. after we leave the team gets run ruled in 3 by team hosting tournament, one of best teams in our state.

sunday, we play same team hosting tournaent (they mowed down everybody in pool play). 1st inning, DD makes near perfect shoot to catch runner stealing 2B, short stop makes good catch and . . . . stand straight up without putting on tag. that set tone, could see some girls afraid, almost paralyzed. DD very frutrasted, it is clear, but is quiet for the most part, I think because she realizes if she talks, she is going to explode on teammates.

touogh weekend, especially since HC had work commitment, and could not be there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812