How to efficiently play with 8 players?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2020
They did. We could play with eight, but the ninth spot was an out. We could play with seven, but then the bottom two were outs. But it was a rough weekend because once you got a rally going, suddenly boom.

Better than not playing, though.

Feb 13, 2020
In order to get 9 players today we literally begged the CF’s friend, who had come to watch, to play for us for that day. We put her in RF and luckily nothing came to her but whenever she batted she always got out. This girl had never played softball in her life so we had to have my DD and the CF explain the game to her in 20 minutes.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
They did. We could play with eight, but the ninth spot was an out. We could play with seven, but then the bottom two were outs. But it was a rough weekend because once you got a rally going, suddenly boom.

Better than not playing, though.

If you drop below 8 batters the game can not continue (USSSA Rule 5.2.A)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
We had a tournament today and our team ran into a bit of an issue. We only had 8 players and one of the missing players was our main pitcher......
In the end we lost 10-6. Do any of you guys know how to be able to efficiently play with 8 players. We will only have 8 again tomorrow. Should we keep the SS at short and hope for the best in the outfield? If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate them.

18U... Ouch... There is no efficient way to play with 8 - it is all stop gaps and hoping for the best. Especially with a part-time pitcher (with a full time pitcher I can have them throw outside (balls to RF) or inside (balls to LF but you are throwing into power) and move my 2 outfielders to the pitch called (or just do it all game).

First; My DD's 18U team would have beaten you by 20+ in 3 innings with what you had to do; so that you were competitive at all was a great job.

The only thing I can think of is to maybe see if you can change it up at 1B; Maybe even try to move your sub-SS there as at least she was a regular infielder and as a 2B has some experience getting throws at 1B when covering on bunts.

When you are at this level of disadvantage; you have to be looking to limit the damage; which means you have to prioritize outs over stopping runs and plays you might go for with your top team in place.

Aug 25, 2019
That shouldn't be. If you have 8 players on your lineup card, then there is only 8 batting spots. You shouldn't be penalized .

Ooops, I stand corrected, here is the USSSA Rules:

Rule 5 Players and Substitutes-Section 2 SHORT-HANDED RULE: Playing short-handed is an exception to Rule 5-1 above. A team shall be allowed to play with one batting position unfilled, provided they have a minimum of 8 batters present. The vacant batting position will be designated as the absent player. Whenever the absent player is scheduled to bat, an out shall be declared.

The things we can learn when we read the rule book.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802