How To Conquer The Fear

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What might help is for her to practice being hit with a ball.

There is a way to react when you might get hit. It might help her to learn the skill.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How accurate are the pichers on her team? If they consistently throw strikes, try to find out their practice schedules. Ask if you could have your dd stand in against them at practice to work on timing. Have her time the pitch and start to swing, but dont swing. In many cases this fear can be overcome just by repetition. It may just be comfort level.

My initial thought is to have her stand in the batter's box without a bat. Just work on reading pitch location for starters, and get used to standing still as pitches go by.

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
DD is same way "different player during live at bats". I think caused by
1. Nerves - so we have built a routine with focus points and breathing
2. Feeling pressure to perform - we don't comment on strike outs but on quality swings and remind her that no one dies from a stoke out.

We always work mechanics because the better the swing and timing, the better the outcome and positive outcomes begets more positive outcomes.

Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
The one thing I have seen that made the biggest difference on being afraid to get hit by a pitch, was after the girls watched the WCWS. Everyone on our team has aspirations of going to play in college. When they saw how close to the plate the college girls stand and how they reacted (or actually didn't react) to getting hit, they all seemed to lose the fear of it.

They thought if the college girls can take a hit at 70 mph, then taking one at 55-60 mph shouldn't be a problem.

DD would always brush someone back if they got up on the plate too far. Batters would always back up. Now they dare you to come inside, and won't budge to get out of the way.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
DD is same way "different player during live at bats". I think caused by
1. Nerves - so we have built a routine with focus points and breathing
2. Feeling pressure to perform - we don't comment on strike outs but on quality swings and remind her that no one dies from a stoke out.

We always work mechanics because the better the swing and timing, the better the outcome and positive outcomes begets more positive outcomes.

One of the biggest reasons that players are different vs. live at-bats is that the ability to time a live pitch is a greater challenge than many assume, IMO. It's kinda like Mike Tyson said, 'Everybody has a plan, until they get hit.' Similar w/ hitting. Everybody has a plan on how to swing, until the ball doesn't arrive at the location or time they thought.

Not that this has much to do w/ fear of being hit, but thought I'd add that.

Jun 21, 2012
I have done this with fearful batters.

Technique 1: Put a hitting net next to her. The idea is that she can finish her swing, because the bat will just hit the net, but if she steps out, her cleats will get tangled in the net. Make it very uncomfortable to feel and get out of.

Technique 2: Work on fast hands. Turning quickly on inside pitches and purposely hitting them foul. Use tennis balls or incredi-balls initially. Be about ten feet away, front toss, and concentrate on inside pitches. Slowly move closer to the body until she is confident that she can fend off an inside pitch right at her. As she gets better, move back and increase speed to give her a good sight picture. In this technique, do not worry about what the feet do. Concentrate on hand and bat speed.

Technique 3: Have her bunt a lot. I mean a lot. Teach her to catch the ball with her bat. Every batting practice, have her do a 2:1 ratio bunt to hit. This will enforce a really good skill and give her more confidence at the plate. If she is fast, this can be her goto until she feels better about hitting for base hits.

Technique 4: When you do batting practice, throw all outside pitches until she gets the feel for the "toward the pitcher" stride.

Hope this helps

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
**Didn't realize this was an old thread!! I wonder how her DD is doing now...a year later. :) **

Really don't have a lot of offer but a couple of things that come to mind (keep in mind I am no expert even after years of reading this forum LOL):

1) How is her presentation/walk up to the plate? Does she have the same routine every time? Also, does she walk into the box and then look out to the field and look at gaps and positions? Tell her to face them down with that stare...and then she looks at pitcher straight in the eye. And of course, move her focus to pitcher's hip. Focusing on a routine will help her relax initially.

2) Does she have the Yes, Yes, No mentality? If not, read this: https://www.coachlisle.com/batters-box-battle/

That's all I got...we have BTDT...and as such, a little something else I can offer you. Don't try so hard FOR your DD. Just relax and support her. She will find it, but SHE has to find it and work with it. Important thing here is RELAX. Keep working hard, go through the motions, and it will eventually fall into place.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101