How to Coach a Special Needs Kid in Rec Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
It looks like we are going to have a special needs kid on our team (10u) this spring. I'm looking for some guidance on how you handle playing time, playing position, coaching during drills, etc. I don't know any specifics on the girl, just got to see her during the skills assessment. During the skills assessment this girl was unable to catch a grounder or a pop fly, had trouble playing catch with gently thrown balls, and was unable to throw the ball 30' in the air. We have girls on the team that are throwing 40 mph and I know of at least 2 girls on other teams that we will play are able to hit the ball to the fence. I don't want to seem like I am discriminating and not giving her playing time, but I have real concerns for her safety that she isn't able to protect herself. I can protect her some in the games by putting her in right field, but that is much harder to do in practice. One of the other girls is bound to throw it hard to this girl and I'm afraid she is going to get hit in the face or chest. Any suggestions?

Apr 20, 2015
It looks like we are going to have a special needs kid on our team (10u) this spring. I'm looking for some guidance on how you handle playing time, playing position, coaching during drills, etc. I don't know any specifics on the girl, just got to see her during the skills assessment. During the skills assessment this girl was unable to catch a grounder or a pop fly, had trouble playing catch with gently thrown balls, and was unable to throw the ball 30' in the air. We have girls on the team that are throwing 40 mph and I know of at least 2 girls on other teams that we will play are able to hit the ball to the fence. I don't want to seem like I am discriminating and not giving her playing time, but I have real concerns for her safety that she isn't able to protect herself. I can protect her some in the games by putting her in right field, but that is much harder to do in practice. One of the other girls is bound to throw it hard to this girl and I'm afraid she is going to get hit in the face or chest. Any suggestions?
Definitely make sure that she is wearing a fielder's mask even in the outfield and discuss the situation with her parents find out what her needs are and what they are hoping to get out of the season. It's rec league. Playing time really should be equal and winning is secondary to development but if safety is really a concern then this has to be brought up with her parents. Our rec league will allow kids that are that far behind to play down...especially if they are special needs. Depending on her issue that may not be a social issue that would hurt her feelings. You need a lot more information from her family.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
Special needs or not I've been here...the only issue will be is she physically limited from improving and learning things or mentally not capable of understanding the things that are being taught. I would really talk to her parents see where she is at and emphasize how important it is to play catch with her every day so hopefully she can improved, I think it would also help them understand her limitations and better understand the position you are in. Same when she is at the plate does she understand how many strikes and ball she has and three strikes you are out? can she make contact? does she know to run and when?

Biggest challenge for you will be to correctly figure out what she can and can't do also might help if we understood how much was mental versus physical. As far as kids playing catch during practice, what to your really top notch kids do when throwing with the worst kid on the team? do they burn it in there? soft tossing to the glove side isn't that hard to tell girls to do, we did have one girl that had never played and was really bad I usually made my kid ( and another AC kid I trusted) throw with her...yeah kinda sucked but gave me a little piece of mind.

May 6, 2015
one important thing is to make certain that all the girls and parents, grands, etc. associated with the team understand the situation. how you handle depends on a lot of things, but make certain the girls understand she is a teammate same as the rest of them, they need to accept and encourage her. maybe even tell them the measure of success for the season is how much fun this girl has and how much she improves (that would be mine).

Also, face mask. make certain she has one, and then show her that if the ball hits the facemask, it does not hurt (ie rap a ball against it while she wears it a few times like knocking on a door, do this a little bit silly and she will probably laugh at it). explain to parents first what you are going to do and why. talk to them about how to help teach her to catch (lots of threads on this).

also, talk to ump and other coaches so they understand. not asking for charity, but just so they understand why you might have to call time 3 times in her at bat, or why she is pinch running instead of last out. at rec level, with a quick conversation pregame, I cannot see anyone having issue with a little extra time and bending PR rules.

a consistent position, with a defined set of instructions (if say RF, back up 1B and 2B if hit ball gets through, otherwise backup 1B on every pitch, etc.) might go a ways to. and make certain someone is always acknowledging, even if there is no play.

lastly, if she is struggling at plate, teaching her to bunt might help her to get bat on ball and put it in play, which will do good things for confidence.

Jan 8, 2019
I have had the opportunity to coach a few special needs kids over the last few years. Most were higher level, but one was very special needs on my DS's LL team. She required me to run the bases with her, but since this was Tee ball, much easier to deal with. I have to say that coaching her was one of the most fulfilling experiences I have had coaching to date!

Know this about most special needs kids that are out for a sport:
They generally love the sport!
They love being out there with their peers.
They love it when they succeed!
They want you to be happy with them.
They generally want to be there and want to try!

As already mentioned:
1. Keep her safe
2. Help her have fun.
3. Give her as much playing time as you can. (Let her start games, not just sub in later.)

To support these, understand that money for special needs families is already likely to be an issue. So see if your league or a generous sponsor or family would donate a face mask. Don't even tell the family they need to get one, just get it for them if they don't already have one. Teach her over and over how to take a pitch so that she does not open up to face the pitcher or put her hands out. I've seen this too many times with beginning players of all kinds, and it makes me cringe waiting for the broken finger or ball to the chest. Don't expect sliding. If she does, awesome! If not, help her understand how to avoid a collision. If she is afraid of being at bat, have her swing off a tee while you have someone throw some outside pitches. This will get her used to swinging without as much of a fear that the ball is going to hit her.

She still has rules to follow, too, but obviously things may be harder for her to understand. Like throwing equipment in frustration can happen. Usually a nice direct talk "remember that we hold on to our equipment, even when we're frustrated, so that we don't accidentally hurt others" is usually taken well. I had a kids that at 10 learned to swear after striking out (which was about 95% of the time). A quick talk with him after I heard it, and he understood and stopped it most of the time.

Help some of your top girls understand that they are not trying to bring her up to an advanced level. Their job is to make sure that they support their teammate no matter what! It is pure magic when the team gets behind a kid, especially when she finally has the opportunity to succeed! There is usually 1 or so kid that is uber competitive that may need some side talks about being a good teammate.

Try to treat her as much like any other girl as possible.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
Tons of great advice already. I have had the opportunity to coach a special needs boy in coach pitch baseball and it was incredibly challenging and incredibly rewarding. You will have to work harder with her than with the other girls on the team. That will cost some girls reps, but it will be worth it.
Depending on what parts of the game give her the most trouble you will be able to find places where she can succeed. Even if the only real success she can have is running the bases then find a way to get her all the chances there you can. The opposing coaches will likely be fine with her being a courtesy runner for your catcher even if the rules don't allow courtesy runners. Explain the situation, explain your reasons and I can't imagine anyone saying no.
If it is safe to do so make sure she plays infield. Maybe she will want to pitch. If so, let her. There will be a run limit in each inning and if you give up 5 runs because she throws 40 balls in a row while smiling and getting encouragement from the crowd then that is a great inning. This is 10u rec, so make sure that everyone, especially this girl, has the most fun possible.

Jan 8, 2019
Tons of great advice already. I have had the opportunity to coach a special needs boy in coach pitch baseball and it was incredibly challenging and incredibly rewarding. You will have to work harder with her than with the other girls on the team. That will cost some girls reps, but it will be worth it.
Depending on what parts of the game give her the most trouble you will be able to find places where she can succeed. Even if the only real success she can have is running the bases then find a way to get her all the chances there you can. The opposing coaches will likely be fine with her being a courtesy runner for your catcher even if the rules don't allow courtesy runners. Explain the situation, explain your reasons and I can't imagine anyone saying no.
If it is safe to do so make sure she plays infield. Maybe she will want to pitch. If so, let her. There will be a run limit in each inning and if you give up 5 runs because she throws 40 balls in a row while smiling and getting encouragement from the crowd then that is a great inning. This is 10u rec, so make sure that everyone, especially this girl, has the most fun possible.

I was going to go back and add this after I realized I had left it off. It is NOT easy! It is VERY rewarding! Every little success brings a smile or laugh that is PURE gold!

Jul 12, 2019
It looks like we are going to have a special needs kid on our team (10u) this spring. Any suggestions?
Where I live, high school students need "community service" hours to graduate high school. Does the local H.S. team have any players interested in going into Special Education? One high school near me has 10-15 boys helping out for the LL Challengers program every week in the middle of their season.

Sep 17, 2009
Treat her the way your 'rec' girls would like to be treated if they guested on a super high-level travel team that had a pitcher throwing 55mph and hitters that could put it over the fence. With respect and with a goal of helping her learn and be a part of the team.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802