How to avoid the unnecessary drama

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
That might be "developing", but it sure isn't much fun. By the end of season, they hadn't won a single game??? It's a miracle they still had a team. IMO, that's as bad as playing down all the time and clobbering every team you play. Developing teams also win games. There's a reasonable balance between playing tournaments where you can win some games and seeking out tougher competition.

When DH was coaching his goal was to end up with a 500 record. Win enough to not be completely dejected, but play up enough to make sure they're being challenged. He erred on the side of development when it came down to it - we never played any lower level tournaments where we were sure to clean up. They had to earn the wins regardless, but they had that opportunity. In 1st year 10U DD was on a team that played A all the time and wasn't ready for it. There was a lot of misery on that team.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
When DH was coaching his goal was to end up with a 500 record. Win enough to not be completely dejected, but play up enough to make sure they're being challenged. He erred on the side of development when it came down to it - we never played any lower level tournaments where we were sure to clean up. They had to earn the wins regardless, but they had that opportunity. In 1st year 10U DD was on a team that played A all the time and wasn't ready for it. There was a lot of misery on that team.

That's about right...perhaps a bit better. Good players want to join a good team, and a decent record helps with demonstrating that you can compete effectively at some level. I've never met a good player at the older age groups who wanted to join a team that got clobbered every time it took the field.

Mar 2, 2019
My suggestion would be to make sure you have a realistic estimate of the talent/skill level you're working with and go to tournaments where your girls have the best chance of being competitive. Winning is part of what makes playing fun for the girls (and the parents).

Also, remember that just like the girls are learning to be travel ball players, the parents are learning to be travel ball parents. There's a pretty steep learning curve for all involved! For me, the most helpful communication (as a parent) was talking to parents of older girls and experienced coaches who could help me put 10/12U ball in perspective, and ease some of my softball anxieties. Perhaps the president of the org could talk the parents and girls through the 10U to 18U travel ball journey? We parents sometimes need a clear, honest, yet respectful reality check...

Jul 26, 2016
Development is important but the most important thing at that age is fun. Winning isn't everything but losing EVERY game definitely is not fun,even if you tell the kids it is not about winning they are not stupid and will notice they lose.

My take is no matter how good or bad you are, if you win more than 80% or less than 20% of your games you play at the wrong level.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478