How tall are softball players?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm telling y'all in softball size does matter.

I know we all want to think the opposite because it makes us feel good and think the world is just, but it doesn't work that way.
Height discrimination is alive and rampant in the fast pitch world.

You are absolutely right, BUT... there typically is still room for players who aren't big. DD#1 is 5'-0" and DD#2 is 5'-2". been there (still there), done that

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I'm telling y'all in softball size does matter.

I know we all want to think the opposite because it makes us feel good and think the world is just, but it doesn't work that way.
Height discrimination is alive and rampant in the fast pitch world.

Carry on...

Completely agree with this! We had a team camp at USC Upstate, HC Chris Hawkins sit all the girls down and had a talk.....I'll never forget him saying, the 6'0" girl who just walks onto his field at a camp or somewhere else at a showcase tournament has already made an impression, without doing anything other than being a big girl. And he knows my DD, who is 5'0" and been to many Upstate camps, he specifically pointed her out and said she had to make special play after special play, knock the cover off the ball, and be dripping blood just to turn a coaches head at showcases! So cuzmail is dead on the money!

Feb 21, 2017
Well, that was clever. Don't know how I double posted the picture AND rotated them at the same time.

Those two are listed at 5’3” and 5’4” but hard to tell if that is generous since they are not all standing tall.

What I did get out of this is your daughter is too tall to play middle infield for Washington. ;P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is my 5'-6" DD and her 5'-11" teammate - both 13yo at the time. The teammate gets a ton of attention purely for her size. She keeps the attention by hitting the ball out of the yard on a pretty regular basis.
OpNZvWB.jpg

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
My DDs with two outstanding middle infielders from the University of Washington, Sis Bates and Taryn Atlee. My oldest is 5'5".

Sis Bates might be my favorite player in college right now. Fantastic shortstop, excellent hitter, and she always appears to be having fun on the field.

5'3" is definitely a generous measurement for her.

Apr 28, 2014
Great example. DD was at an exposure camp today. We set up and next to us arrived a girl that was a 2021 like my DD. But my DD is 5' 6" and this girl was 6" easy, both same body type except the height. I was excited to see her throw, she was wearing a Jersey from a bigger org in our area. When all was said and done I heard she threw 54 on the radar that they had set up. DD hit 59, 60, 58 on FB and her other pitches were nailed. It was the best I've seen her in a long time. Coaches did give DD some love but nothing like the love they gave the taller kid. I didn't say anything to DD about it but in the car she said "I guess they like tall girls". I guess in a way I probably would have given this taller girl some attention as her mechanics were poor and she used little leg drive. That said it's frustrating to see it in such an obvious example.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802