How soon after a college camp should a high school student email the coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
A HC made a positive comment about DD's batting during the camp. DD is a sophomore, and the HC told her she is looking to start recruiting girls from her class yet. When should DD send the follow up email?

Apr 16, 2013
I'd personally say right away. If she's a soph the HC won't be able to respond. If she wants to go to this school though, she can start sending regular emails and then be on his/her radar.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
I'd personally say right away. If she's a soph the HC won't be able to respond. If she wants to go to this school though, she can start sending regular emails and then be on his/her radar.
Thanks. I know the HC cannot respond until her junior year. I didn't know if there was a downside to responding immediately.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
A HC made a positive comment about DD's batting during the camp. DD is a sophomore, and the HC told her she is looking to start recruiting girls from her class yet. When should DD send the follow up email?

That evening or the latest the next day. It is a one-way conversation right now, but if she is really interested in the school, sending the coach regular updates and schedules is the way to express real interest.

Feb 12, 2014
I agree, sooner is always better than later. Find reasons to email - grade cards issued, schedules released, etc, etc.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Did you mean to say "not looking to start recruiting..."? The "yet" at the end of that sentence is throwing me off.

Regardless, send the email right away. Nothing to gain by waiting. The email doesn't need to be long, but it does need to be personal and specific. Beyond the usual "thank you for a great camp...", she should include specifics such as "my biggest takeaway was...", or "based on your comments, I will continue to work on...". If this is a D1 school, don't expect a reply due to recruiting rules, but at least your daughter can get on their radar.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My DD would have a stack of Thank You cards in the console of the truck. On the last day of a camp/showcase, before we left town she would hand address one of the cards, include a quick note and mail it so it had a local postmark. Coaches get tons of emails. Not many get hand written cards with a personalized note thanking them. Recruiting (Marketing) is all about seperating yourself from the herd.

May 9, 2010
My DD would have a stack of Thank You cards in the console of the truck. On the last day of a camp/showcase, before we left town she would hand address one of the cards, include a quick note and mail it so it had a local postmark. Coaches get tons of emails. Not many get hand written cards with a personalized note thanking them. Recruiting (Marketing) is all about seperating yourself from the herd.
This is a great idea. When my daughter was going through the recruiting process she mailed the coach a letter and even sent her a holiday card. Coaches definitely remember things that stand out.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now

A handwritten thank you card at least garners the respect and effort of being opened. It's much easier for a coach to hit the delete button. DD did much the same thing as yours except she'd mail it from home that evening.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802