How Pitching Illegally Comes Back to Haunt You

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Oh, you went a lot farther than that...

Clearly, you are stating you think she has been pitching illegally from a "young age".

….and if you stopped for a second and read you’d realize that I’m agreeing that the rule is not consistently applied; hence it probably was not much of an issue before this season for her.

All I said was it was obvious she’s been doing it for a long time and this was evident by the way she was unable to correct it during the game to be legal like some pitchers can and do.

Honest question - do you think she learned to pitch this when she was older? I actually believe that in most cases it is not taught this way, and it just happened to be the way she threw. I agree that she was probably very successful at the youth and HS ages; hence no reason for anyone to correct it if not getting called on it. If she was never called on it, then it’s not her fault and I feel bad for her, because she might not have realized she was even doing it until this season, when it became an issue.

May 16, 2016
….and if you stopped for a second and read you’d realize that I’m agreeing that the rule is not consistently applied; hence it probably was not much of an issue before this season for her.

All I said was it was obvious she’s been doing it for a long time and this was evident by the way she was unable to correct it during the game to be legal like some pitchers can and do.

Honest question - do you think she learned to pitch this when she was older? I actually believe that in most cases it is not taught this way, and it just happened to be the way she threw. I agree that she was probably very successful at the youth and HS ages; hence no reason for anyone to correct it if not getting called on it. If she was never called on it, then it’s not her fault and I feel bad for her, because she might not have realized she was even doing it until this season, when it became an issue.
I just watched most of first inning. I'd love to hear the umps explanation of what made some of those pitches illegal, and others were legal. I think she couldn't make an adjustment, because she had no idea from pitch to pitch what was going to be called illegal.

Jul 16, 2019
[QUOTE="wheresmycar, post: 663706, member: 14647
By the way, you are free not to respond.

Got it. 👌
[/QUOTE]
You should have taken his offer and not replied to his post because he doesn't think Kelly Barnhill crow hop. His definition of crow hop or replant is different from the rule.

Jul 14, 2018
Honest question - do you think she learned to pitch this when she was older? I actually believe that in most cases it is not taught this way, and it just happened to be the way she threw.

I seriously doubt she had a pitching coach who said: ”This is illegal, but I’m going to show you a trick that umpires never call.” It’s more likely that she developed that move over time, finding the mechanical combo that was most effective against hitters. The same way that pitchers who are taught HE figure out I/R on their own.

I would point out that she won for every team that she ever played on from 10u to College. She won for every coach she ever played for. So when people ask how this could happen I would point out that no one cares. She wins.

This is certainly true, and gets to the crux of Vertigo’s point. Coaches are happy to ride the horse that gets them wins, so nobody stopped her and said, hey, what you’re doing can be called an illegal pitch, let’s work on that.

Did they do her a disservice? Maybe. She lost a big game but she’s probably getting a mostly free college education based on how she pitched in 18U. It’s not like her mechanics are endangering her potential for a big pro contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
For anyone who thinks it is easy to change after years of doing something one way, it's not. My daughter took pitching lessons with a trainer who taught poor mechanics from August 2016 through June 2018. Being ignorant of the poor mechanics myself, I let her continue because her pitch speed continued to grow. When she finally started to plateau in her first year of 12U, I sought advice from some other pitchers' parents. This woman was my daughter's first trainer, so this was her foundation, and I have since learned it was detrimental to her development.

We moved to our current trainer who is much more highly regarded and teaches fluid mechanics back in June 2018. It took until the late Fall of 2018 until she was comfortable with the new mechanics, and even then the trainer only gave her what she felt she could handle without ruining her entire season. To this day, she still shows hints of her original flaws. Nothing major, but it was muscle memory, so it is not easy to break.

Now imagine asking a girl to change in the middle of a game after she's been doing something that way for 10 or more years. It's completely understandable why it gets in their heads.

Nov 17, 2017
View attachment 25584
Blessed are the umpires who know this is an illegal pitch. I don't even need to see video to know the she's a replanter. (This is the first thing that came up when I searched "Troy pitcher illegal"). When the trail knee flexes and points rearward it is an illegal replant 100% of the time. Such an easy call to make by any field umpire.

I was watching #39 From Nebraska in Slo Mo this weekend....

It KILLS me - how anyone can say or think that putting weight on the back foot AGAIN and getting a second push off from 4 ft closer isn't some kind of advantage...

To a Dad of a 14u trying to do it right - this is Mindboggling and isn't even the same Athletic Skill as what we're learning

IMO there is no way in hell any pitcher with that bent rear leg for another push off should ever be allowed to pitch.

May 16, 2016
I was watching #39 From Nebraska in Slo Mo this weekend....

It KILLS me - how anyone can say or think that putting weight on the back foot AGAIN and getting a second push off from 4 ft closer isn't some kind of advantage...

To a Dad of a 14u trying to do it right - this is Mindboggling and isn't even the same Athletic Skill as what we're learning

IMO there is no way in hell any pitcher with that bent rear leg for another push off should ever be allowed to pitch.

If your foot is in contact with the ground, it is bearing weight. Whether it's the toe, or bottom of foot really makes little difference. The rule book refers to the back foot as the "Pivot" foot.... not drag foot, or non weight bearing foot... pivot foot.
Subjective? I think not. I will grant you there is selective enforcement, but the rule itself is black and white.

So, which rule is the Troy pitcher violating? And on the "legal" pitches, why is she not violating it? What part of "bearing weight" to an external observer isn't "subjective"? How much weight? Why is a toe on the ground bearing less weight than the bottom of a foot? Why does a bent leg bear more weight than a straight leg?

Balls and strikes is a "black and white" rule, but the officiating part is totally subjective.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28