How pitches is too many at 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

B

BROBO

How many pitches is too many at 10U?

How many per day?
How many per Tournament?
Does it depend on the kid?
Will her arm fall off?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
Are you asking as a pitcher's parent? Or are you asking as a coach?

In rec, girls who are just moderate-speed underhand throwers and not actually 'pitchers' can go all day, but I tend to be more conservative with my pitchers. It depends on the athletes, though, and there are no hard and fast guidelines on what's going to work best for your players. If my pitchers join the tournament team this summer, the pitching workload would be spread over more arms, so at this point, there are no real concerns about needing to build up their stamina, nor are we in danger of overworking them.

B

BROBO

I'm asking as a coach. This is my first year as a TB manager and was looking for some advice. This past weekend I started to record the pitch count . My #1 (very good) ended up throwing 201 in 3 games (2 days) and my #2 (average) 181 in 2 games.

Feb 3, 2011
I was thinking 70-80/game, but that's just a range I made up in my head based on what I think might happen during a game. On a day where we might play more than 3 games, however, I'd want to have at least a 3rd pitcher who could get us a few outs regardless of how the starters were feeling.

B

BROBO

What about per day? I've got four kids that go to the same pitching coach. #1 is Lights Out 50-51mph great control, the #2 spot goes back and forth. #2A 40mph hits spots but gets tired easily. #2B is a 9yo 42mph also tires easily. #4 46mph no control (right now).
Its very tempting when #2 or #3 struggle to go back to #1 and I was wondering if any of you experts out there have ever done studies that would help understand the long term effect - if any.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Should a 10 YOA kid throw 2 games in a day? No. Are you going to hurt their arms by pitching them too much? Probably. Are the kids going to complain? No. Will the parents complain? No.

So, why are you asking?

Come on...this isn't rocket science. You know what is right and I know what is right.

You should pitch your #1 pitcher ONE game a day. That is it. If you lose the other games, you lose the other games. Believe it or not, the earth will still turn the next day.

If you don't want to lose the other games, develop your other pitchers.

Last edited:
B

BROBO

That's exactly what I'm asking. Should a 10yo throw 2 games in a day? What about fighting back in a losers bracket? I see people do it all the time and I don't want to be that guy if it is wrong.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
How many games depends on a couple of things: Is there a time limit? Run rule?.

In most instances at 10U, do you rarely go seven full innings. I go by pitch count. 80-100.

B

BROBO

thanks pride. That's what happened this weekend #1 threw 29 pitches in a 3 inning game at 9 a.m. then 72 in championship at 3 p.m.

80 - 100 sounds good to me too

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It is wrong. The young girl goes all out the 1st game, stays at the tournament, maybe plays another position and by the time she pitches again, she is already fatigued. No matter what she says - her reaction time cannot be the same as it was during the first game. There is more to consider than her arm, although that is the main concern.

If you want her for later on, limit her innings in the 1st game.

You are going to need to explain this to all of the parents, that it is about the girls - not the score. The girls aren't going to care about the score, themselves. But, the parents will bring it up to them.

Also, take as good of care of your catchers as you are your pitchers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802