How often to Pract. Pitching??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 24, 2012
Chicago, IL
I am a newbie to the softball world as I have only coached my son's travel baseball teams. I wouldn't let my son throw a bullpen everyday but my 11 year old daughter asks me daily to practice pitching. So is it like baseball to much is not good or is there a rule of thumb for how often a player should work on pitching? We try to play catch often to but I don't want to have her overdue it if it isn't safe,, Thanks

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
As far as full pitching practices I would stick with the same rules as your son. She can do some pitching exercises everyday if she wants to but not full pitching.

Dec 24, 2012
Chicago, IL
OK cool thanks, better safe than sorry. Were just chomping at the bit to do some stuff with our extended winter here in the midwest lol

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
My 9 YO throws sometimes 5 days a week but we keep it in small doses 50-60 pitches max not an hour long killer practice.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
At 11, she needs to pitch almost every day. It sounds like you will keep it in perspective and not practice on Monday, if she pitched a game on Sunday. But with good mechanics, she can pitch 5 days a week. On off days stress good overhand throw (do that every day, anyway) and work on hitting.

My lessons are 45 minutes, but that includes warming up overhand, underhand, and water breaks. They probably throw about 75 full pitches.

Dec 24, 2012
Chicago, IL
At 11, she needs to pitch almost every day. It sounds like you will keep it in perspective and not practice on Monday, if she pitched a game on Sunday. But with good mechanics, she can pitch 5 days a week. On off days stress good overhand throw (do that every day, anyway) and work on hitting.

My lessons are 45 minutes, but that includes warming up overhand, underhand, and water breaks. They probably throw about 75 full pitches.
OK , that's what I was thinking. We play catch daily & she may throw 30 or so pitches.
Edit: Just got in from throwing 35 pitches to beat the sunset

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2012
My daughter usually pitches 5 days a week. Usually pitch two days & then take a day off. That changes depending on weather and tournament schedule (Pitch Sun & Mon, rest Tues, pitch Wed & Thurs, rest Fri, pitch Sat, etc). This just helps us to have a routine.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
We are pitching a pretty good bit now. We slipped to about twice a week during winter(not counting a few breaks from softball when basketball got busy), but are ramping up now.
Anytime we get the balls out we throw and pitch for atleast an hr. Doing long toss, throwing, and a few drills. I have no idea how many pitches she throws. I feel like and encourage girls that wanna learn to pitch that they should be pitching as much as possible(but for most it turns into rarely:)

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2012
W. Kansas
My DD throws twice a week for about hour and a half each practice, rest of the week batting practice and strength and conditioning and I want her to take time off to do friends and other girls stuff, seems to have worked good so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee