How often should DD (a sophomore) send an email to a coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
Especially during this time when everything is shut down, how often should DD (2022) be emailing coaches? We are shooting skills videos right now and she wants to send most of them out within a week. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to stagger them, since there can be no other updates that would be cause to send a new email.

Mar 26, 2016
Right now is prime time to get some views, I would stagger them weekly, the new thing a lot of kids I see are doing is just posting clips on Twitter and tagging coaches.

Mar 26, 2016
Just to followup, has she been sending emails to those coaches in the past, if not I would highly suggest an intro email, I'm player, I play this position for this team, I attend xyz school, I'm interested in your school because xyz...

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Right now is prime time to get some views, I would stagger them weekly, the new thing a lot of kids I see are doing is just posting clips on Twitter and tagging coaches.

I've heard varying views on this tactic. Apparently, some coaches don't want to be tagged in your Tweets unless you have an established relationship with them. If you've never even been to an Alabama camp, for example, don't tag Coach Murphy on your Tweets. I would say proceed with extreme caution because you don't want to annoy coaches who are being inundated with Tweets.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
Just to followup, has she been sending emails to those coaches in the past, if not I would highly suggest an intro email, I'm player, I play this position for this team, I attend xyz school, I'm interested in your school because xyz...
Yes, she already sent out that type of intro emails to some of the schools she is interested in, but not all of them.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
She is not posting on Twitter, just sending out emails to coaches. I encourage her to personalize the emails to each coach so they don't look like they are from a template that she simply inserts the coach's and college's names.

Jul 27, 2015
Especially during this time when everything is shut down, how often should DD (2022) be emailing coaches? We are shooting skills videos right now and she wants to send most of them out within a week. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to stagger them, since there can be no other updates that would be cause to send a new email.

We created unique videos for each school my daughter was interested in and posted them as unlisted on You Tube. She then sent unique video links to the schools she was interested in. We would then look at You Tube analytics to figure out who actually opened up her videos. It helped us narrow down who we were wasting time on.

The results were very interesting to me. (2021 grad. We did this in the fall so coaches could contact her)

One school would watched each week's video multiple times, and if the video was 1 minute long, the view time would be 3 minutes. (They eventually made her an offer)

One school, which already had an offer out to her, did not even look at the videos. The coach pretty much ignored her for months and months, and is now texting and face timing. Just strange.

She sent a video to one school. Coach texted her right away saying great to hear from her again. Never looked at the video. For the next week's video, she changed the title to have stats in it, coach looked at the video and even drove 4 hours to come watch her play.

And a bunch of schools never opened the videos at all. Or watched for 20 seconds and wrote "come to my camp"

Mar 28, 2016
We created unique videos for each school my daughter was interested in and posted them as unlisted on You Tube. She then sent unique video links to the schools she was interested in. We would then look at You Tube analytics to figure out who actually opened up her videos. It helped us narrow down who we were wasting time on.

The results were very interesting to me. (2021 grad. We did this in the fall so coaches could contact her)

One school would watched each week's video multiple times, and if the video was 1 minute long, the view time would be 3 minutes. (They eventually made her an offer)

One school, which already had an offer out to her, did not even look at the videos. The coach pretty much ignored her for months and months, and is now texting and face timing. Just strange.

She sent a video to one school. Coach texted her right away saying great to hear from her again. Never looked at the video. For the next week's video, she changed the title to have stats in it, coach looked at the video and even drove 4 hours to come watch her play.

And a bunch of schools never opened the videos at all. Or watched for 20 seconds and wrote "come to my camp"
We just created our first skills video and started sending it out. How can you tell if a coach has watched it or partially watched it?

Jul 27, 2015
We just created our first skills video and started sending it out. How can you tell if a coach has watched it or partially watched it?

Warning - this takes time. And there is about a 100% chance I won't explain this well. I am going to assume you understand YouTube video posting.

YouTube won't let you send up the exact same video multiple times. So you have to create videos which are slightly different. I would just rearrange the order of a few highlights for each video. So all the completed videos contained the same clips just the order was different.

When creating the videos, put the college name in the title. So the videos might be called week1highlights_floridaystate.mp4 or week1highlights_alabama.mp4. (side note: we never sent clips to P5 schools. ) Note: The school name is never posted on YouTube. You are just naming the videos with the school name.

Post each one to YouTube and make sure the videos are unlisted. Put whatever title you want. We used the same title for each set of videos. Something like "2020 Susan Smith Power Hitting Catcher Week 1 Highlights". Do not put the school name in the title or description. (we would fill out the description too with contact information)

For each video on You Tube, grab the link. You can tell what school the video is for by the FileName attribute listed on the video. You are the only one who sees that. I would copy the YouTube link and send it to my daughter and say "send to Florida State". Grab next one and say "Send to Alabama"

It is imperative that neither of you ever click on the video link. DO NOT WATCH THE VIDEO.

Check your analytics every day on Youtube. On a per video basis, you can see how many views each day (and when) and total viewing time.

If this is still too confusing, you can write me a private message, and I send you a video of my YouTube page which should clear it up.

Mar 28, 2016
Warning - this takes time. And there is about a 100% chance I won't explain this well. I am going to assume you understand YouTube video posting.

YouTube won't let you send up the exact same video multiple times. So you have to create videos which are slightly different. I would just rearrange the order of a few highlights for each video. So all the completed videos contained the same clips just the order was different.

When creating the videos, put the college name in the title. So the videos might be called week1highlights_floridaystate.mp4 or week1highlights_alabama.mp4. (side note: we never sent clips to P5 schools. ) Note: The school name is never posted on YouTube. You are just naming the videos with the school name.

Post each one to YouTube and make sure the videos are unlisted. Put whatever title you want. We used the same title for each set of videos. Something like "2020 Susan Smith Power Hitting Catcher Week 1 Highlights". Do not put the school name in the title or description. (we would fill out the description too with contact information)

For each video on You Tube, grab the link. You can tell what school the video is for by the FileName attribute listed on the video. You are the only one who sees that. I would copy the YouTube link and send it to my daughter and say "send to Florida State". Grab next one and say "Send to Alabama"

It is imperative that neither of you ever click on the video link. DO NOT WATCH THE VIDEO.

Check your analytics every day on Youtube. On a per video basis, you can see how many views each day (and when) and total viewing time.

If this is still too confusing, you can write me a private message, and I send you a video of my YouTube page which should clear it up.

I totally understand. Well explained. Thanks.

I have been telling my daughter to stop watching also, so I can get a rough idea. Good idea to tailor them individually.

I have our video as public, but I will start doing what you suggest to the schools that she really has her hopes on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood