How much running does you team do?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
IMO.... That is crazy.
I am not sure hour high school track team runs that much. (kidding of course)

I have talked to a college baseball strength and conditioning coach of a D1 school that has been to the CWS and they don't run that much. In fact he does not believe they need to do any long distance running, all sprints, at most 100 yards with ample rest.

For my high school team we do zero long distance running. We seldom make them run poles. There are some girls that could use the conditioning of a long run but that is on them. We do sprints to work on form and run bases. They are expected to move quickly to the next drill and do all drills at 100%. They are tired after practice but not from a marathon.

Feb 21, 2017
You didn’t say what kind of running. Jogging around? If that is the case then not a ton because (as a famous marathon runner once said) long slow runs teach you to run, long and slow.

In a real practice they can do drills and get exhausted and I am not counting base running.

The answer is the coaches don’t know what they are doing so they fill it with running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Pitchers can run (but not at practice) and everybody else sprints.
"

• STOP running slow: You cannot get faster by running endless SLOW laps around a track. Softball requires very SHORT bursts of speed, and rarely will a player ever have to sprint more than 8-10 seconds at a time.
And remember don't lift weights because it will slow your swing down. Just kidding but there are coaches stuck in the stone age that believe this too.

Feb 21, 2017
I am not saying don’t run. My daughters run and do hill sprints. Pitchers need stamina particularly so running is good.

For most players the jogging does not help with explosive sprints (which is required for base running and fielding). Even then it should be an activity done on your own not for 20-30 minutes of practice.

On top of that for 12U, how much does running help when the kids can’t field or hit. Practice is learning how to play with a balance of individual and teams skills. When a serious player hits high school they should be doing sprints, strength workouts, dynamic stretches, and such in an attempt to maximize athletic ability. It is reducing muscle fatigue that creates stamina and lung capacity is only a part of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Our team runs for basically 30mins at the beginning of practice. Foul poles (start at one foul pole, jog to CF then sprint to other foul pole) and running bases. I think it is a good thing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45