How much practice is too much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
First, I highly suggest getting rid of the "making up for lost time" mentality.

While 13 is a little late to start pitching, take your time and make sure each practice, each drill is objective driven. You and your DD must know exactly why you are doing the drills you do, and make each pitch count. You shouldn't try to aim for 100 or 150 a day. You should aim for gradual progress and as others have said, take a break if you notice there is regression from practice to practice.

When my DD first started pitching about a year ago, one thing I heard many say is that this is a marathon, not a sprint. Each practice, frustrating pulling my hair out moment, I realize that is the key. Got to be patient, it will come, but only if you can endure. Good luck!

Jun 8, 2016
I don't know anything about pitching but I do know about working with a youngster and one of the key things imo at the younger ages is to try and make sure they come out of a session confident. If my DD is swinging well I might cut it a bit shorter than if she is struggling a bit. If she is struggling my strategy usually is to try and stay positive and then end at a point where she takes a few good swings in a row. Note, that doesn't necessarily mean the result is perfect, but just that she is able to take some swings where she is able to do what we are working on and I will make sure to explain this to her.

While I realize that you don't get that luxury in a game, kids at that age have a short memory. While I might view the whole session as not being all that positive, the DD typically will just remember those last few swings and will bring that feeling (both in terms of the swing "feel" and the confidence) into the next session where we can build upon it. As they get older, and start to understand their own mechanics better, the strategy will probably change a bit to the point where they will let you know when they are good.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018
I like what the late Peter Coe had to say about training volume, albeit in a track & field context, but still applicable to any sport training:

"Goals are best achieved by doing the least amount of work necessary, not the most, because the goal is freedom from injury as well as continued improvement over the next several years. The greedier athletes become, the sooner they are spent."

I think the attached document shows the variables in program design quite well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191209-140728_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20191209-140728_Twitter.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 34
May 11, 2018
if the 100-150 pitches mean full pitches from the mound then yes your doing to much. if those numbers include mostly drills thats about what my dd does each practice. my dd has been pitching for 6 yrs now also 13. its important the get a days rest after pitching and work on something different. We have a great coach and she mentioned an arm is only good for so many pitches so make everyone count and have meaning. i would put just as much effort into arm care as pitching and make sure she is loose and not forcing her pitches to avoid injury. good luck its a bumpy road. try to keep it fun no matter how bad it gets

Oct 4, 2018
If you are going to pitch that often make sure your are quitting when her body says to quit, not a clock.

She is still new, she may be 13 but she is developing muscles other girls have developed over several years of pitching.

If she is pitching 100 plus pitches in a practice make sure to break it up just like a game. I would have my dd throw 15 pitches and then take a break, we would discuss what she did well and what we were going to do in the next “inning”. The breaks were maybe 5 minutes but it more resembled game conditions then just throwing 100 pitches in a row.

Or call balls and strikes and she gets a short
Break after 3 outs, keep track of walks too.

One way to create a break is to video a pitch and then watch it on your phone with her. Talk about where the ball is at 12:00, 9:00, etc. Look at it from different angles, etc. Make that break not seem like a break.

Also, if it's just not working one day don't try to press too much. Some days girls are just off and it's better to try again tomorrow than to force it. I'm horrible at taking my own advice on this, and have been a bit of a jerk on days it's not working. Don't be like me.

Oct 4, 2018
First, I highly suggest getting rid of the "making up for lost time" mentality.

While 13 is a little late to start pitching, take your time and make sure each practice, each drill is objective driven. You and your DD must know exactly why you are doing the drills you do, and make each pitch count. You shouldn't try to aim for 100 or 150 a day. You should aim for gradual progress and as others have said, take a break if you notice there is regression from practice to practice.

When my DD first started pitching about a year ago, one thing I heard many say is that this is a marathon, not a sprint. Each practice, frustrating pulling my hair out moment, I realize that is the key. Got to be patient, it will come, but only if you can endure. Good luck!

Amen to this.

But while it's a marathon, the first few miles are the worst. The first 4 months my DD practiced was painful and frustrating to us both. Lots of mistakes, chasing balls, a few tears.

Now it's really just me sitting with a beer watching her pitch into a net. This part of the marathon is quite enjoyable. :)

May 5, 2019
if the 100-150 pitches mean full pitches from the mound then yes your doing to much. if those numbers include mostly drills thats about what my dd does each practice. my dd has been pitching for 6 yrs now also 13. its important the get a days rest after pitching and work on something different. We have a great coach and she mentioned an arm is only good for so many pitches so make everyone count and have meaning. i would put just as much effort into arm care as pitching and make sure she is loose and not forcing her pitches to avoid injury. good luck its a bumpy road. try to keep it fun no matter how bad it gets
An arm is only good for so many pitches, but your daughter has been pitching for 6 years and she is 13 :unsure:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee