How much has the game changed in 20 years?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
Not having much exposure to the game until a few years ago, for me I think the need for facemasks is the biggest change.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Another change that is slowly happening is that as schools build new fields, they are increasing the distances. Our field is 200 down the line and 205 to center. However, it has an 8 foot fence.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
This is what I have noticed as well. There is so much money being spent on softball now compared to 20 years ago.

As a coach who isn't taking money from players I just offer my observations and parents NEVER want to hear they are spending their money on bad private coaching (hitting coach, pitching coach, fielding coach, etc.).
You might recall that last year, we had a player who was 0-22. She refused to listen. Then, she ran that up to 0-28. The HC went to her and mentioned that she might want to listen since her "experts" advice was not working. We don't have to worry now about that. Remember the Doritos commercial? We'll make more. Out with the old and in with the new.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Hey, I have been too active in Bob's Threads. I'll go ahead and step aside.

Bob I do wish you and your dd the best!

Take care,

Darrell Butler

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
BATS

Bats are much improved. Coupled with better hitting instruction, kids are hitting the ball out of the park all the time. "Real" home runs were very rare...now they are an everyday occurrence.

Because the bats are hotter, kids can mishit a pitch and still hit the ball a long way. The result is that riseballs are not the killer pitch they used to be. In the old days, if a kid hit the riseball, it was a popup. Now days, there is a good chance a mishit riseball will go over the fence.

TB NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

n the mid-1990s, there was only one national championship for age level. Now, every TB team qualifies for a national championship.

AGE CUT OFF

The age cut off used to be September 1, rather than Jan 1. Teams are older. 16U teams are better than used to be.

COLLEGE EXPOSURE TEAMS AND TOURNAMENTS

There used to be one or two college exposure tournament. So, a normal TB team would go to the tournament. Now there are teams that do nothing but go to college exposure tournaments.

The rules for the exposure tournaments are so crazy that I'm not sure you can call what the kids do "games".

PITCH CALLING

Back in the day, pitchers would call the game. Today, every coach calls pitches...even though the coach usually has less experience pitching than his 12U pitcher.

ENJOYMENT

I saw the boredom/drudergy phenomenon in California in the 1990s. Out in Irvine, two really good TB teams were playing. The kids acted as if they were going to a Wednesday night church service.

It seems like it is everywhere now.

May 15, 2016
Maybe her travel ball coach isn't teaching best practices. Have you considered that?

It is not one travel coach I am talking about. That her 14u coach taught her the same thing as her 12u coach did, in the same organization, then she moves to a different organization, and is taught the same thing, I find it hard to believe they all got it wrong, and the school coach is teaching her correctly.

I know there are so very good high school coaches in nearby school districts, but we are not so lucky.

Mar 13, 2010
PITCH CALLING

Back in the day, pitchers would call the game. Today, every coach calls pitches...even though the coach usually has less experience pitching than his 12U pitcher.

Slight correction. Catchers called the game.

I think it’s made our game poorer not having catchers call the game. I’ve had this argument many times on this board, but the job of the catcher is to call the game. No one else. (Pitcher cal shake off but it’s not common)

It’s a disservice to the catchers not to be taught and you’ll see a lot of top itching coaches calling for it to come back.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
In my area, interest in softball seems to be falling... There are fewer travel teams now then there were 10 years ago. But rec ball has fallen even more. Our community had 4 softball teams at one point in time, and now has zero. I just learned last night that a larger community 20 minutes from our home ended their rec softball league this year. Just 8 years ago they had 8 teams between 10u and 12u. Now they don't have enough interest to continue the program. Not a good sign for this area. Soccer and field hockey seem to be winning the athlete's interest.

In regards to the quality of coaches:
There are very good rec coaches. There are very bad rec coaches.
There are very good travel coaches. There are very bad travel coaches.
There are very good high school coaches. There are very bad high school coaches.
There are very good college coaches. There are very bad college coaches.
There are very good pitching and hitting instructors. There are very bad pitching and hitting instructors.
Painting any group with a wide brush is a disservice to those that are good at what they do, and is quite frankly just not accurate. Whenever an athlete is receiving mixed information from various sources, it creates a difficult situation that is difficult to manage. No matter which side they choose, someone will be upset. Okay, rant over ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802