How much Chirping?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
Question for the vets here. How much chirping do you take from the benches? I am not asking about the usual "whoah" or "nice spot Mary, looked good". I am talking stuff from players like talking about not golfing, he isn't calling that strike for our pitcher, that girl was so safe - learn the rule book. Like very chirpy benches. I know being an umpire means hearing it from both sides, just wondering when you guys would talk to a coach about it. If at all.

Thanks

May 17, 2012
I would have very little tolerance for any of that. Hold the coach accountable.

My position is that unless you have umpired previously (a certified umpire) keep your comments to yourself. I tell this to my players every year.

Jan 11, 2015
Question for the vets here. How much chirping do you take from the benches? I am not asking about the usual "whoah" or "nice spot Mary, looked good". I am talking stuff from players like talking about not golfing, he isn't calling that strike for our pitcher, that girl was so safe - learn the rule book. Like very chirpy benches. I know being an umpire means hearing it from both sides, just wondering when you guys would talk to a coach about it. If at all.

Thanks

Well actually you don't have to hear it at all. It's not your job to just let them say whatever they want and you have to take it because it's allowed.

It takes one official warning on a player usually for a coach to get the picture and message that you mean business. Have had problem players before in the past and after you write them down, they behave.

No tolerance for unsporting conduct. Don't take it.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Remember playing a tournament where befor each game when coaches and blues met at the plate...
Each time umpire would say something to this affect.

Coaches, Parents and Fans are your respondsibilty.
Keep it clean.

I recall it was a great tournament to be at!

Jan 22, 2009
South Jersey
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I could have pulled to coach aside and had him tell his players to cool it, but I assumed some if it is just "part of the job" I worked with a guy a couple weeks ago at the plate meeting he said - "I welcome questions, ignore statements, and punish insanity" I guess I will learn where the line is eventually.

Mar 1, 2013
^^^^ What @EdLovrich said. As umpires, not only are we blind, but we need to be a little deaf, too. If I went after every coach/player/parent who said something about a call, I'd preside over a lot of forfeits.

I've had two games where I tossed coaches. One was in a tournament where he yelled out as loud as he could (from the first base side when the call was at third) "How many are YOU going to miss today?". He used the magic word ("you", as noted above). He spent the rest of the game in the parking lot. The other was in a rec league where an assistant came over and suggested that I change out my glasses to be able to see better after I called out his runner on a leaving early appeal with a caught fly ball. Also gone. If I recall, the head coach went later, especially since he started his argument with, "You're about to toss me, but...". That was one of those games I look back on trying to figure out what "went wrong". I've come to the conclusion that what was wrong there was not me. The organization/team was full of loudmouth idiots. When they weren't yelling at me, they were yelling at the 12 year old who just threw 4 pitches into the backstop or the 11 year old that threw away an easy put-out.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
@newsoftballdad One thing to remember is that an umpire never ejects a player or coach, they eject themselves. The other thing to remember is that you will seldom look back after a game and wonder why you ejected someone, but you WILL look back and wonder why you didn't. You will learn your own level of 'deafness' and how much you will tolerate, it IS different for everyone.

One was in a tournament where he yelled out as loud as he could (from the first base side when the call was at third) "How many are YOU going to miss today?".

"I am not sure how many you think I am going to miss coach, but I am NOT going to miss this one"

Jun 11, 2013
I would say 95 percent of the coaches I worked with or played against had great sportsmanship and would only question close plays which I think is somewhat reasonable. The best umpires spelled it out at the HP meeting that they wouldn't accept too much and mostly were good about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812