How much backswing is too much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 5, 2014
I am in the process of converting my DD from HE to IR. After reading Java's drive mechanics and Boardmembers stickies we are starting over completely. One question I have is about back swing. My DD has very long arms with very flexible shoulders. The picture below is from this spring when she was still 9. As you see her arm gets completely vertical in her backswing. Intuitively I think it is too much(besides looking painful) but I was wondering what is ideal and why?
IMG_20140611_182314909~2.jpg

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
the experts will surely weigh in but.....from my layman's perspective, I would recommend less of a back swing:
1. reduce stress on the shoulder - she may not feel anything now but when she get's older this will not be good
2. more control (extra movement is option for extra issues - from DD's experience)
3. prevent visibility of the grip on the ball

Mar 23, 2014
SoCal
for got to add... I just started reading "Fix my Shoulder" by George Demirakos - a guide to preventing and healing from injury and strain.

DD is a pitcher so I felt this would good reading from a preventative perspective

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
What she is doing takes effort and does not accomplish anything. I would guess from the still picture that her whole body is waiting for her arm to catch to. I am sure she can get the timing down but why?

Jan 24, 2009
Dear Lord Benjey! That looks like a photoshop or a gruesome dislocation...or exceptional flexibility!! I wonder how Amanda S would answer the question. See model pitchers thread.

Nov 5, 2014
the experts will surely weigh in but.....from my layman's perspective, I would recommend less of a back swing:
1. reduce stress on the shoulder - she may not feel anything now but when she get's older this will not be good

As someone with 2 bad shoulders as constant reminders of my college football career I agree. I know that right now it is not stressing her shoulder in fact the above pic is of a warm up pitch. I do worry about future impact though

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I would agree that this kind of backswing does next to nothing in terms of helping. My gosh..... If I were to do that, something(s) would be torn/broken in my body.

Nov 5, 2014
I would agree that this kind of backswing does next to nothing in terms of helping. My gosh..... If I were to do that, something(s) would be torn/broken in my body.

I agree for an IR delivery it seems like too much but I think it unfortunately was helpful to her as an HE pitcher. Or at least as a laymen it is my guess as to why she could create so much arm speed in her circle and get pretty good velocity out of her hulking 4'10" 66pound frame. Lol. She was clocked consistently in the low 40's peaking at 43.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am not sure if this is a fair comparison or if they still have them but they use to have those boxing bags that rated how hard you hit. I will win with my short compact over your long.

It did not help HE either.

Nov 5, 2014
Quincy you may be 100% correct. I have no idea. I am the furthest thing from a biomechanics expert. But my real question is how much backswing is ideal? As we remake her delivery I want to know how much to cut it down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23