How many players are too many?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Competing for spots and playing time has already started befor college.

Not all teams.
However would say certainly by 16u its generally showcases and compete in tournys.
The compete in tournys part is to win.
That said,
there are younger teams that already apply earn playing time with a competition mindset.

This baffling concept that everyone should get equal playing time in sports is simply a not so competitive mindset that colides with others who have a competitive goal.
The mixture of those participating like going to Disneyland vs. Those who actually play sports because its a competition.
For those who have been playing in Disneyland,
everyone pays and so get to go on all the rides...
is not the same as
The mindset of
Pay for the opportunity to compete....to get BETTER and earn competing at the sport!

Some just take longer at the Disneyland stage...
Some like Disneyland better.

*I use Disneyland as a compairitive example because its equally expensive.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Competing for spots and playing time has already started befor college.

Not all teams.
However would say certainly by 16u its generally showcases and compete in tournys.
The complete in tournys part is to win.
That said there are teams younger that already apply earn playing time.

This baffling concept that everyone should get equal playing time in sports is simply the mixture of those participating like going to Disneyland vs. Those who actually play sports because its a competition.
When those who have been to
Disneyland pay and get to go on all the rides.
is not the same as
Pay for the opportunity to compete....to get BETTER at the sport!

Some just take longer at the Disneyland stage...
Some like Disneyland better.

*I use Disneyland as a compairitive example because its equally expensive.
I hate amusement parks... :p

Jun 8, 2016
Lol well you can sit outside the fence there too ... :)
or I can sit at home like I do for most games now (don't need a live stream for the amusement park though)...outside the fence is usually too close in both cases.

CoachJ5513

BlueJ5513
Sep 29, 2010
Texas
I was once asked how many pitchers a team should carry.
The answer is "2 is too many and 5 is not enough"

As far as how many players a team should carry ... after 10 U, to make sure you are able to field 9 players you should probably carry whatever age group you play, i.e. 12-18

its hard to get 9 or 10 Jr High/High school girls on a consistent travel schedule... just my 2 cents with a touch of humor (maybe)

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I was once asked how many pitchers a team should carry.
The answer is "2 is too many and 5 is not enough"

As far as how many players a team should carry ... after 10 U, to make sure you are able to field 9 players you should probably carry whatever age group you play, i.e. 12-18

its hard to get 9 or 10 Jr High/High school girls on a consistent travel schedule... just my 2 cents with a touch of humor (maybe)
This topic on this thread comes up 5 times a year and most of the experienced contributors would concur with your advice. I like to say, "You don't know what's down the road, until you get down the road." Many of these folks on here think that a roster of 11 will get them through a year without any hiccups. That's okay one tourney at a time in perfect world in 10U. How healthy is it for a kid to play every inning of every tourney every year? That is a recipe for burnout and team implosion.

When ya get down the road, tell us what it's like. I think I do a pretty good job of of showing the good, bad and ugly since I've been down the road and still traveling.

On another note, I heard a couple of bits of college player news this week that defies all that I know and understand about college softball. Some of it's hearsay and some of it will have to unfold in the fall. I won't share until I see with my own two eyes where these players land.

Nov 18, 2013
I'd much rather she learn to pitch before she get to college. If she doesn't get innings now she won't be able to compete later. How many college pitchers do you think were getting 25% of the innings on their 14u teams? Get real.

The OP’s daughter is 16U. But to answer your question at 14U my DD was one of four pitchers and getting about 25% of the innings. Later one pitcher switched to just infield and innings were divided among three. It was about 40-30-30. DD’s was one of the 30 and got more than enough circle time to develop. Most of the improvement comes from practice so they don’t need more than half the innings. The ones who claim they do just wanna see their kids pitch.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The OP’s daughter is 16U. But to answer your question at 14U my DD was one of four pitchers and getting about 25% of the innings. Later one pitcher switched to just infield and innings were divided among three. It was about 40-30-30. DD’s was one of the 30 and got more than enough circle time to develop. Most of the improvement comes from practice so they don’t need more than half the innings. The ones who claim they do just wanna see their kids pitch.

ABSOLUTELY adds fantastic perspective for everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802