How many Pitches can my 8 year old throw per game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
There is no scientific evidence that icing promotes healing. -->NONE<-- So, the only reason anyone ices is reduce the pain. If a 12YOA pitcher needs to be iced for the pain, then that pitcher needs a lot more than frozen water--she needs to be rested for a month and needs to find a new pitching coach.

Finally SOMEONE stating the truth about icing. My DD rarely uses ice. I always read softball boards about icing and even had my DD following it for a while but then did my own research on the subject and found that what you say is true.
Rest, proper stretching and massage go a lot further than ice.

May 25, 2010
My little superstar did hit 40-41 on the gun (I think it's a ±2mph model) when she was 7, but while we haven't brought it out since she turned 8, I can tell you that, even though I don't think she's throwing quite as hard anymore, she's throwing a lot more strikes. If she sticks with it, I could see her hitting 43, maybe even 45mph for a one-time max within the year. But for now, she knows how to throw hard, so her emphasis is on finding the strike zone more often than not.

She took the better part of a month off this summer. She just wasn't motivated to go out and pitch (stop me if you've already heard this story). So, in coming back and getting ready for the fall season, I've been super-conservative in letting her build up her endurance. After warming up, we're currently at 40-50 pitches per session (about 4 days/week). If a ball comes off the wrong way or isn't near the strike zone, it doesn't count, so add about 5 balls to that total. Within the next week, I'm hoping she'll be up to 50-55. I have not had a chance to speak with her coach about pitch limits, but they go by innings, so if she's getting a majority of girls out, then she should be able to get through her 2-3 innings per game.

The limits I set for daddy-daughter practice were completely arbitrary. I estimated how many pitches she could expect to throw in a rough inning and then multiplied it by 3, which is the anticipated inning limit for our league, regardless of how many pitches the kid throws. Three outs on 3 pitches counts the same as a 20-pitch inning, so I'd like for her to be able to throw about 60 pitches effectively per game.

Those moms and dads who want to have their 8yos throwing 100+ pitches/day - plus drills - 5-6 days a week are welcome to do that, and I hope they find success. Call me overly cautious, that's fine, but I'm more interested in my child being able to play the game and play it well for as long as she'd like than I am in telling all the other dads that 'my little Suzie throws 100 pitches a day, every day' just so that they'll say 'ooooh' and 'ahhhh' while not giving a rat's patootie what the kid does.

Yes, she's capable of more than I'm permitting, but if there's no significant added value for an 8yo to throw 400 pitches more per week, every week, yet there is that much more stress on her body, I don't see any reason to endorse it.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
On young pitchers:
For 8 year olds let's not take the fun out of it. You could also count the pitches by the time it takes, such as 1/2 hour to start then build to the similar time of a game at that age (I agree!). I think too much pitching makes for burnout. Remember that repeating bad mechanics for hundreds of pitches just makes bad habits and drudgery for the future. Less quality pitches kept to the amount that would be thrown in a game keeps it fun and safe. Gosh I really hate the thought of 8-year-olds or even 10s pitching doubleheaders and being put on radar guns. Please tell me that is not real. Many guns are not accurate and you could be setting up future or present feelings of failure.

(I tell all my little pitchers to take that pitcher's walk between pitches when they get tired. Good for rest of their careers.)

Generally agree with you. A couple of points:

a) Fun - if they are not having fun practicing pitching at this age than they should not be pitching, period. With that said, I have heard it mentioned here that somehow if a girl practices several times a week somehow she is not having fun. On the contrary, the better she gets, the more fiun it becomes because she can control her pitches better, try a new pitch in a game, etc. What is not fun is spending little time practicing and then trying to pitch in a game, walking every other batter which is brutal for the psyche of girls this age.

b) Quality - As girls are starting to pitch earlier and get pitching coaches, I think is it critical that we emphasis QUALITY over quantity, to help prevent burnout and injury. I look at the arm and shoulder of a girl similar to the timing belt of a car. There is a finite number of repetitions before the thing wears out and needs to be replaced. Hopefully, these pitchers arms never need repair or replacement.

c) Speed guns - I see nothing wrong with speed guns if used properly, for example to periodically check on the progress of the pitchiers speed. We occassionally use the glove radar every few months just to confirm progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478