How many Pitches can my 8 year old throw per game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2008
Okay slugger. I understand what you are saying. But ,if you teach the proper mechanics the transition is easier and more successful,correct? Maybe what I am seeing is girls that try to do the windmill and are opening and closing at wrong times and throwing everywhere. Thanks though,I never realized if your mechanics are bad and your hips grow that you cannot throw right. I guess this is the reason our pitching coach is very hard on getting the mechanics right.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
First, congratulations! There are so many parents of young pitchers who are brain dead (and I was one). You are one of the rare few who thinks, "Hmmm...maybe I should ask some questions, because this isn't making any sense."

If a pitcher is taught correctly, there is no problem with the transition. She simply gets bigger, stronger and more accurate. After her body is fully grown, she only needs to be tweaked a little to optimize her motion for her body. She'll be much better when it really counts. Kids they have learned incorrectly usually get frustrated and quit.

The theory behind pitching isn't difficult. As a parent, you should learn the pitching motion so you can help your DD. There is a tremendous about of BS floating around about pitching, and you're there to help your DD wade through it.

Dec 10, 2008
I have no problem learning.That is why I come to this site is too get knowledge from people who have been it it a long time.

Sometimes you have to beat it in my head but I eventually get it.LOL.Thanks

Aug 2, 2008
Not to beat a dead horse on icing but I found some articles that have a different opinion.

All About Pitching Article The Myth Of Baseball Pitchers Icing—Why Ice Is Not Nice
All About Pitching Article Should Pitchers Ice After They Pitch? Not According To The Research.
Softball Excellence
Why do pitchers ice their arms after pitching? - Yahoo! Answers

I can't stand doing something just because it is the way it has always been done. I coudn't find alot of official studies, rather opinions based on studies and no links were provided to back up the opinions. One thing I do believe is lactic acid is a byproduct of exercise and needs to be flushed from the body. Light exercise similar to the activity performed is the best way to cool down. Like Sluggers said if the arm is sore then you have overworked it and some damage has occured. If you must ice then keep it short, prolonged icing will limit the blood flow by constricting the vessels.

Mike
p.s. I have no expierence with older pitchers, my daughter is only 10. I just want to make sure we do what is right based on the success of others.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
All pitchers should have a pitching coach that is aware of about how many pitches that certain little girl should throw during a game.

It has nothing to do with innings. An inning could be anywhere from 3 pitches to 60.

My 8U students I want them to throw approximately 50 pitches per game. Sometimes it is a struggle to even get them enough innings. The girls need innings.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2010
BOTTOM LINE: No more than 3 innings per game.

There is one group of people who say, "Underhand pitching doesn't hurt kids because its a natural motion. As long as they use 'good form', they won't get hurt no matter how much they pitch." The other group says, "Doing any physical task thousands of times will cause injury." The scientific studies support the latter group.

Most likely, your DD's pitching motion is bad. It takes a long time to develop good pitching mechanics, and she just hasn't had enough time. Additionally, as soon as she is under pressure, she will likely start pitching using poor form. So, at best, she will end up learning bad habits. At worst, she will hurt herself.

Just as general information, many pre-pubescent girls throw 50 MPH, so your DD isn't quite as unique as you may think. The hard part of pitching is going from 50 MPH to 60 MPH. To pitch 60 MPH, the pitcher has to have good form.

Also, there is a difference between "cruising" speed--how fast can DD throw and throw strikes 95% of the time--and "one time maximum speed"

WOW- you actually think young girls 8-11 years old throwing 50 mph isn't unique? I don't know where you live but there are absolutely NO girls from 12U and down that throw 50 mph in my daughters league. Most of the really good pitchers throw 40-45 mph fastball's.

Dec 10, 2008
Actually their are quite a few here. My 9 yr old throws 45 right now from 35 and 11 yr old throws 47 from 40. We have 4 pitchers on our 12U team that throw 51-55. So yes they are there.

Oct 19, 2009
Interesting. My dd played 10U travel as an 8yo last year and pitched a complete game every other game. Her team had two pitchers counting her. With time limits, her games averaged about 4-5 innings. She wasn't hitting 45 (which is amazing for an 8yo) but she could hit 40-41 on occasion. Still, she never had arm pain and we never iced. Come to think of it, when she goes to lessons or works out in the yard with me 3-5 days a week I'm pretty sure she throws more pitches than she would over three innings.

Oct 19, 2009
When playing elite 10U travel teams you better be able to hit 50+ mph pitches because all those teams have a pitcher who's bringing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802