How many outs do we give away

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Wasserman or anyone who does that drill...
(which i am not commenting is good or bad)
That drill is not my point!

You overlooked the point of my post.
*To your post needing longer throws!!!!

My post includes MORE conversation to
Mechanics about throwing.
Guess that got glanced over...

Still Glad to have made the point throwing is more than upper body.

I think what's being lost in translation could be that the OP is going through a throwing progression during his warmups. I didn't read his post that the players were staying stagnant after the twist and throws. But maybe I'm reading/assuming wrong.

Both DD's JH team and our TB utilize the twist and throw during warm ups. But it's part of an overall progression that then moves into step and throws and ultimately OF throws.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Understand
Did put in my post
*recognize on forums hard to write all details.

What i saw in op original post is
Coaches players cant throw well.
Made suggestions to that point.

Good Luck!

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
It sounds like the players are playing fetch, not catch.

And really it should be more than catch...it should be receiving.

If you are using Wasserman for warm ups IIRC there's a progression of shorter to longer throws to begin...and then longer to shorter with more intensity as they work back in.

This is also the time to be working on receiving the ball (not just catch) example....MI can be receiving the ball like the should on a cut/relay.

I suspect it's a combination of skill/technique and mental approach

Counting the balls left on the field is a visual to drive home the point.

I'd suggest there should be pride in not dropping the ball and pride in making an accurate throw to your partner.

We did "competitions" in practice to work on these things.

One was "two ball" Players were about 15' apart. Each had to have a ball and throw to the other...throwing and catching at the same time. This required concentration and teamwork at the same time. We did this as a team in paris and played last pair standing. There was a "reward"....something different everytime....What we found was after doing this a couple practices...there was a level of competitiveness that developed in trying to be the last pair standing and not the first pair out. It led to shouts of "let's do it again" from the girls who dropped out early. We did it for time 30 seconds and increased it as the players got more skilled. We also did it for # catches. Even when one team "won" they wanted to keep going to create a record for next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802