How many of you forgo the bucket?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
I sit on a bucket and hold the glove low between my knees. Pitching low is always good, so I've always held the glove low. Never been hit in the boys, but I have taken a few in the left foot. I'm finding the better/faster DD gets at pitching, I also get better at catching her.

Feb 22, 2013
I know I've posted this before, but I will take the lid off of the bucket and sit on the lid. I will put the bucket between my legs and work the down pitches with my glove on either side of the bucket. If my dd misses an inside or outside pitch and throws it down the middle, my glove is able to reach in front of the bucket to retrieve the pitch. The soles of my tennis shoes are able to absorb a pitch in the dirt, which doesn't happen often. I've used the bucket to work the inside and outside pitches since my dd has been strong enough to pitch the softball.

It doesn't take a bucket dad or bucket mom a long time to figure out that lowering the target in practice will transfer to game situations.

Someone mentioned that it wasn't important, as a bucket parent, to catch every pitch. Last summer, during my dd's final year of TB, I was bucketdad catching my dd under the lights after a rec league game. I put my glove up on the outside corner of home plate and told my dd to hit the glove. She threw the pitch and it was a little farther out than I liked, so I didn't move my glove, knowing that the ball would not strike me. As the ball whizzed by my right leg, I felt my cell phone jump. I stood up and looked at my cell phone with the shattered screen. My dd looked at me and said why didn't you catch the ball, it didn't miss by that much. I told her that I wanted to give her immediate feedback and that I shouldn't have to move my glove. My dd, with her quick wit, looked at me and said, you'll get immediate feedback when you show mom your phone with a shattered screen.

I thought my wife would be more understanding of shattering my phone screen when catching my dd. She wasn't. I tried to bring up the fact that running over her cell phone with a car was similar to my predicament. It wasn't.

Jul 26, 2010
If you're working with new pitchers you're probably doing more fetching than catching, so use this:

wearable-garden-stool-01.jpg

-W

Attachments

• wearable-garden-stool-01.jpg
    wearable-garden-stool-01.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 69
Nov 29, 2009
If you're working with new pitchers you're probably doing more fetching than catching, so use this:

What I tell my parents is bring 5 or 6 balls with them when they work with their DD's. It keeps from having to stop working as frequently. Also, I make sure the kids are chasing the bad pitches. Not the mom or dad. It gives them incentive to work harder and concentrate harder so they are not chasing balls.

Oct 22, 2009

-W

I have parents falling off their buckets all the time, If they were wearing that I don't think I'd be able to stop laughing at all the more times they'd fall over!

Oct 22, 2009
What I tell my parents is bring 5 or 6 balls with them when they work with their DD's. It keeps from having to stop working as frequently. Also, I make sure the kids are chasing the bad pitches. Not the mom or dad. It gives them incentive to work harder and concentrate harder so they are not chasing balls.

A pet peeve of mine, 1 ball on a wet day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom