How many hours a week does your DD team practice?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Hitting and conditioning on Tuesday with team for 3 hours . Wednesdays we have Pitching Lessons. Friday her and I practice at Cages. Saturday practice from 730 am till 1pm. Unless we have game then Saturday gets cancelled.

She is 16 now . Dang where does the time go.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"hence each kid may only get 10 to 15 balls hit to them per 1.5 hours...."

They need more coaches. I want player taking 30-50 balls even if its at close range. Seeing the ball into the glove over and over. That being said, situational is time consuming but needed. Years ago, my son had a coach that used a big white board with magnets. Saved time. Think I am going to ebay and find one. Thought?

Apr 20, 2015
Top level team with kids from 3 states. 1 3hr practice on the weekend. My child is a 3 sport athlete and currently has soccer practice or games 4 days a week after school. Hits in lessons 1 night a week, at home 2 other nights and we try to squeeze in fielding and long toss once a week. Presuming we don't play.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
"hence each kid may only get 10 to 15 balls hit to them per 1.5 hours...."

They need more coaches. I want player taking 30-50 balls even if its at close range. Seeing the ball into the glove over and over. That being said, situational is time consuming but needed. Years ago, my son had a coach that used a big white board with magnets. Saved time. Think I am going to ebay and find one. Thought?

They have 3 coaches..HC doesn't utilize them properly, practice is very inefficient. My DD gets her reps with me so from that perspective I don't care. He doesn't seem very open
to suggestions so I just keep my mouth shut about it.

Last edited:
May 22, 2015
Illinois
DD is 14 (turns 15 in December) and about to start 16U. Her team practices on Wednesday & Sunday for 2 hours each. If we have a tournament then we just practice on Wednesday that week. Her team practices are pretty inefficient as well. They do a lot of discussions & situational stuff which is needed, but I feel like the girls don't get enough reps. I would say the girls only average around 15-20 grounders, 15-20 pop flies, maybe 25-30 swings per practice. We go to practice a little early quite a bit so that she can get more reps in.

Outside of her team practice she does training for an hour or so (weights, sprints, ladders, etc.) at least twice a week, and hits either off a tee in the basement or I take her to a cage 2 or 3 times a week.

Jul 14, 2018
DD's second-year 12U team practices twice a week for two hours. We just joined a big org, which has a weekly strength & conditioning program for all of their players. It's optional, and there's a nominal fee each time you go.

They also have a defensive program, where they have a nightly session. One for middle infield, one for corners, one for outfield, and one for pitchers & catchers. You can attend as many as you like, and all of the age levels work out together. I'm looking forward to those getting started. They work out of a nice indoor facility, so there will also be opportunities for DD to just go and pitch to me on a bucket a couple of times a week throughout the winter.

Finally, DD does a 90-minute semi-private lesson every week -- 60 minutes of pitching and 30 minutes of hitting.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD practiced more at the younger age groups, and as she got older and started playing at a higher level, her TB teams expected the players to be working on their own with pitching and hitting coaches.

In college they practice, workout or have mandatory study hours @ 5 hours/day, 6 days/week...so it is a GRIND!

Feb 21, 2017
18U: Both daughters do team 1x per week 3 hrs out of season. During tournament it is 2x per week, one hitting for 1 hour & 2 1/2 hour team practice. During HS it is 1x per week 2 hours optional. On their own it is gym 2-4x per week and hitting/slapping 1-2x and for the pitcher 1-2x with one being a lesson and then an extra side session. Since we have two they randomly do everydays or similar. They do homework in that schedule too and I think hang with friends.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee