How Many emails to send to a College Coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
I would straight up ask the college coach what their level of interest is. She's a 2020 so she can have those conversations.

If you're not comfortable with that, have her travel coach talk to the college coach.

Jun 7, 2016
To expand the scope a bit, what is the consensus of those who have completed (or nearly so) the recruiting process of coaches (TB or HS) advocating for players. I recently saw a video (pitching recruiting services) from a "former D1 coach" saying she hated getting emails from coaches about recruits. This struck me as odd, but thought maybe they get pummelled with emails and this is more detritus they dont want to wade thru. I have been asking our TB coach to do a quick introduction email to coaches before camps. I ask specifically for him not to address skill (as the coach can make his/her own assessment at camp) but rather ask that they speak to her work ethic, competetiveness & drive, leadership and personal qualities relating to team. Things that may not be evident in a 1/2 day camp that a coach, who has known player for a few years, can highlite for college coaches.
Yeah or nay?

Aug 21, 2008
She's a 2020
She's been to 3 of their camps
Yes, she got extra attention from the hitting coach, but at that time the head coach was somewhere else.

This is tough to say, and sad to report but if you've been to 3 camps and she's a 2020 but they still aren't responding, I think you have your answer. We'd like to think college coaches can be the adults in the conversation and be honest/upfront but when they don't there isn't a hell of a lot we can do about it. Yes, this time of year is busy getting ready for the spring season in 2-3 weeks but I PROMISE you every coach is in the office in the morning answering emails and doing office work before the practice and individual work outs start in the afternoons. There is no good reason why they can't just tell you YES or NO on interest unless they are waiting on an answer from someone else and you guys are 2nd or 3rd choice. That's the harsh reality.

Now, this doesn't mean to say their #1 target recruit may spurn them for another school. The #1 recruit may break an ankle in basketball and be done for 12 months... or another catastrophe. But IMO, if you've already got a reply from them long ago, been to 3 camps, and you're not getting any answers now, you should move on.

Bill

Aug 21, 2008
To expand the scope a bit, what is the consensus of those who have completed (or nearly so) the recruiting process of coaches (TB or HS) advocating for players. I recently saw a video (pitching recruiting services) from a "former D1 coach" saying she hated getting emails from coaches about recruits. This struck me as odd, but thought maybe they get pummelled with emails and this is more detritus they dont want to wade thru. I have been asking our TB coach to do a quick introduction email to coaches before camps. I ask specifically for him not to address skill (as the coach can make his/her own assessment at camp) but rather ask that they speak to her work ethic, competetiveness & drive, leadership and personal qualities relating to team. Things that may not be evident in a 1/2 day camp that a coach, who has known player for a few years, can highlite for college coaches.
Yeah or nay?

College coaches (in both programs I worked at, D1 mid majors) prefer hearing from the kid directly. Not a 3rd party. Coaches want to talk directly with the kids to gauge maturity and start an open dialogue.

This is not high school where someone passes a note asking the boy if he "likes" her, please check the box YES, NO, or MAYBE.

I imagine it's very frustrating when you don't get an answer from a coach of a school you're very much into. You have to keep sending emails and going to their camps. At the end of the day, if the coach thinks you're good enough, you'll get the recognition. Ultimately this comes down to the coach's opinion, not that of mom/dad. You may think your kid is better than the girl they made an offer to, but it's not your opinion that counts. And there can always be other factors involved: the kid's body language, attitude, compatibility, fit into the program, and money just to name a few.

If money isn't an issue, tell the coach you'll walk on. I GUARANTEE they will reply then. Otherwise, with 2 players very close in skill or ability, they are probably going to choose the one who costs their budget the least. Someone who can get 75% academic money for example, costing the softball team only a 1/4 scholarship is much more enticing than someone needing 75% in athletic because the grades aren't as good.

Bill

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
My daughter is a 2022, so we're early in the process. Generally speaking, she only emails a coach if she has something new to offer - new video or new news.

I don't think the "absent word to the contrary, we'll assume you;re not interested" is a very good strategy. I think they get hundreds of emails every day, and they might just write you off as a snarky PITA if you say that.
Yeah, I think there is a better way to ask for feedback.
How about:
Really interested in your program and it would be honored to play for you. I am more than open to any advise you may have for me. I am also very interested in attending any of your upcoming camps. I am hoping you respond positively to this email, but if that is not the case please advise otherwise. Thanks.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"Coaches want to talk directly with the kids to gauge maturity and start an open dialogue. "

OK, I think you have a good point. But what about the coaches maturity.

But how does that line up to these statements:

Also every coach is different; and this is a real surprise to most - but most of them are truly deplorable at contacting and communicating with players including ones they are interested in.

"We'd like to think college coaches can be the adults in the conversation and be honest/upfront but "

I believe coaches should be able to send out a stock email(s) to to interested players. One would say we are very interested. One would say, sorry we wish you well. And one would say at this time we are still evaluating and we will be making final decisions on a certain date. It can not be that hard to communicate. I mean you don't have to lick stamps anymore. And if a coach has poor communication skills he might not be that good of a coach. Think about it. Great coaches are experts at communication.

Jan 4, 2019
Captain U.... yes it costs $20 per month but.. you can see if and when a coach opens your emails, what videos they watch etc.
Before DD committed she would send a tournament schedule out and we knew who was coming just based on who opened her emails.

What is the name of the service you used ?

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
"Coaches want to talk directly with the kids to gauge maturity and start an open dialogue. "

OK, I think you have a good point. But what about the coaches maturity.

But how does that line up to these statements:

Also every coach is different; and this is a real surprise to most - but most of them are truly deplorable at contacting and communicating with players including ones they are interested in.

"We'd like to think college coaches can be the adults in the conversation and be honest/upfront but "

I believe coaches should be able to send out a stock email(s) to to interested players. One would say we are very interested. One would say, sorry we wish you well. And one would say at this time we are still evaluating and we will be making final decisions on a certain date. It can not be that hard to communicate. I mean you don't have to lick stamps anymore. And if a coach has poor communication skills he might not be that good of a coach. Think about it. Great coaches are experts at communication.

It also would be great to say something like, "We've just about completed our search for 2021's at this point and encourage you to keep exploring your options. Thanks for your interest." That's a good hint to move on without being negative or personal about the player who is emailing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom