How Many emails to send to a College Coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2015
How many emails are your DDs sending to a college coach before giving up? (or getting the point, that the school is not interested?)

DD sent a video from to the coach, got a response after the first email (the hitting we taped was great), but the coach wanted more defensive video footage...

Sent that 2nd video video awhile back....crickets...no response from the coach

How many times should she she the video, before throwing in the towel?

Should she just continually keep sending the YouTube link along with a short email?

Or what is the best way to keep up the emails, before the coach says we are interested, or not interested?

Thanks

Jun 6, 2018
Been there, done that. I would simply throw the ball completely into their court and send an email stating here is the fielding video you asked for. I would love to get your feedback and hear of any tips to further improve my defensive skills. Please let me know if there are any more videos I can send to you. Also, let me know if you have any upcoming camps or campus visits that I can attend to continue the recruitment process. If I do not hear back from you I will assume there is no interest and I will focus my attention to other schools corresponding with me.

Jul 29, 2016
My daughter is a 2022, so we're early in the process. Generally speaking, she only emails a coach if she has something new to offer - new video or new news.

I don't think the "absent word to the contrary, we'll assume you;re not interested" is a very good strategy. I think they get hundreds of emails every day, and they might just write you off as a snarky PITA if you say that.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
How many emails are your DDs sending to a college coach before giving up? (or getting the point, that the school is not interested?)

DD sent a video from to the coach, got a response after the first email (the hitting we taped was great), but the coach wanted more defensive video footage...

Sent that 2nd video video awhile back....crickets...no response from the coach

How many times should she she the video, before throwing in the towel?

Should she just continually keep sending the YouTube link along with a short email?

Or what is the best way to keep up the emails, before the coach says we are interested, or not interested?

Thanks

First what year is she? If she is an underclassman depending on division or sanction there are rules around contact. If she is already a junior then all comms are allowed.

Also every coach is different; and this is a real surprise to most - but most of them are truly deplorable at contacting and communicating with players including ones they are interested in.

To the point where I am still confused about where some of these schools get ANY of their players. Seriously. Others often don't engage recruits in any way until they are juniors or seniors. Some are creepily over communicative. Some use weird methods. And so on. So the lack of a response is not any sort of guideline of interest.

So if your DD is TRULY interested in going to a school just keep emailing and turning up. If you have something new to say, send an email. Demonstrated interest in a school and program sees to be looked on VERY favorably at a huge number of schools - especially the middle of the pack teams. As long as you have something new to say in each email, just keep doing it until you are ready to cross the school off.

Oct 23, 2013
Chicagoland
When DD got serious, I setup a website for her containing clips, tournament history and profile. Through the season new content would be added. Any emails included a reference to this site and/or links to new content.

DD had a list of schools and sent out emails before tournaments with schedule and invite to watch. Every year we'd adjust the list a bit.

We were able to see who came out(usually, some coaches are sneaky or send proxies) and who accessed site(via IP address) to get a "gauge of interest".

Once she was older she only went to camps where her coaches were able to verify there was "some" interest. This route thru her coaches is what eventually got the job done. Good to be playing for a well known organization.

Seeing who took the time to look at your site was very valuable. Some Recruiting services/sites allow you to see who looks at you stuff. This helps you focus and also can keep you motivated if you see activity from coaches.

Oct 2, 2015
Thanks for the feedback!

DD just wants to hear a "yes or no"... we are/are not interested...

She is not one to give up easily, so she will keep sending emails until she gets the "yes or no" answer

I know with practices and season starting soon, the coaches are very busy.

Aug 21, 2008
Need to how old your kid is. Rules prohibit replies to anyone below 11th grade.

When I was in the offices of the schools I worked at, we'd get countless emails every day from the entire gamete of kids. Personally, I never cared much for videos sent. I knew they were edited to show the best pitches, best hits, best fielding, etc. I would've rather seen the next pitch AFTER the worst pitch to see how they rebounded and fixed their own problem.

If you wanna get on a coach's radar, you have to go to their camps. Some are just money makers, I get that. But most aren't. I never knew that until I worked in the college game. They are actually the one and only way to end run the NCAA rules and allow college coaches to work with the kid. Gives the kid a feel for the coach and vice versa. After you go to a camp, and they like what they see, they will show up at your games and tournaments if you send schedules. You can pretty much tell if they're interested in you at the camp if you pay attention. They'll spend extra time with you, ask extra questions, show special interest. But the bottomline is you gotta go to the camp, it's how to get on the radar.

Bill

Oct 2, 2015
She's a 2020
She's been to 3 of their camps
Yes, she got extra attention from the hitting coach, but at that time the head coach was somewhere else.

Apr 28, 2014
Captain U.... yes it costs $20 per month but.. you can see if and when a coach opens your emails, what videos they watch etc.
Before DD committed she would send a tournament schedule out and we knew who was coming just based on who opened her emails.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee