How many catchers on a showcase team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
Is there a typical number of catchers on a showcase team? How many innings should a catcher expect to get in a showcase game or over all the games.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Is there a typical number of catchers on a showcase team? How many innings should a catcher expect to get in a showcase game or over all the games.

My DD’s team has 2 catchers and another girl that can catch in a pinch. For showcase they pretty much split time. For tournaments they alternate in pool play and then the #1 catches most of bracket play unless the games are close together and or it’s super hot weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
My DD’s team has 2 catchers and another girl that can catch in a pinch. For showcase they pretty much split time. For tournaments they alternate in pool play and then the #1 catches most of bracket play unless the games are close together and or it’s super hot weather.

Agree...same here

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
The team we just left started the year with two catchers, DD, who was supposed to be the primary catcher and HC's DD, who preferred to play SS. At Christmas, we added another C/3B. We began playing again post-COVID in June. DD got injured and next thing we knew, here comes yet another C/OF. Now we had four catchers. No team needs four catchers. We stuck it out two more tournaments and began looking. Left before the last tournament of the year. Now we hear they picked up another C for next year. So they have 4 catchers again. Alrighty then.

Jul 22, 2015

That's the perfect answer in my opinion. 2 who are primary catchers and one who is a "can catch" but probably has 2 other positions and doesn't really mind much if she only gets a few innings per tournament. #1 catcher probably catches 2/3 of bracket games and we usually split pool games evenly between #1 and #2 with the "can catch" other getting innings here and there. You really need that 3rd one who is at least good enough to warm up pitchers without getting hurt if nothing else.

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
That's the perfect answer in my opinion. 2 who are primary catchers and one who is a "can catch" but probably has 2 other positions and doesn't really mind much if she only gets a few innings per tournament. #1 catcher probably catches 2/3 of bracket games and we usually split pool games evenly between #1 and #2 with the "can catch" other getting innings here and there. You really need that 3rd one who is at least good enough to warm up pitchers without getting hurt if nothing else.

I was under the impression that tournament teams and showcase teams are different. The goal of a tournament team is to win the tournament, and the goal of a showcase team is to showcase the talent of players, and to look good doing it.

I've seen tournament teams play their #1 catcher through 2 of the 3 pool games, then the next day play the #1 catcher through all of the bracket games.

I'd heard it was common for a showcase team to give each player a couple of innings during each showcase game. Is that not the standard?

Mar 8, 2016
We have 2 catchers on our "showcase" team. It is a team that is trying to help girls get recruited to college. Both catchers split time 50-50 in all games unless someone has a college coach there to watch them. We have 2 others girls that can catch but only in emergency. They do help warm the pitchers up. If we are missing a catcher for a tournament we pick one up. The rotation is the same no matter if we are playing a true showcase or a tournament with bracket play. If it is late on Sunday the better catcher will play more of the final game. In my opinion it is the only way to keep two catchers happy unless you are lucky enough to have one that also plays good defense at a position of need on your team. I don't know how you keep 3 true catchers happy. We had a third catcher who was good come to tryout for our team but we didn't feel like there was any way to take her and make the playing time work out.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I was under the impression that tournament teams and showcase teams are different. The goal of a tournament team is to win the tournament, and the goal of a showcase team is to showcase the talent of players, and to look good doing it.
A lot of teams play both. The tourney's in CA and CO are big showcase but you need to win to play on the better fields and ultimately there is a winner declared.

Jul 22, 2015

I've seen tournament teams play their #1 catcher through 2 of the 3 pool games, then the next day play the #1 catcher through all of the bracket games.

I'd heard it was common for a showcase team to give each player a couple of innings during each showcase game. Is that not the standard?
In truth I don't know anyone who actually differentiates between "showcase" and "tournament" in terms of the team itself. You may play things differently in a showcase that is truly just that, with no actual consequence for winning or losing though. If I know for certain that a coach is there to see one of our players she'll play every inning and get multiple at bats. If I know there are multiple coaches watching the team in general, I'll try to find out what they are looking for and make sure all of my players that fit those criteria get in front of them. Otherwise, we do sub more in those games than typical pool games.

Jun 16, 2010
We had 3. It helps to also play OF or another pos if your not #1 or #2

maybe another who had experience at younger age that could be used in a pinch. I think we did that once

Come to think of it I think my own daughter actually caught the end of a game at 14U once and she had no idea how to catch....we ran out. Someone couldn't be there and someone got hurt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802