How many catchers on a showcase team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
We have 3 primary catchers and 1 that is her secondary position. We are a college showcase team - only play showcases. The way we do it is we try to get girls who play the same position (mainly C and P) to be different graduating years. That way the younger players learn from the older players and they all get a fair share of innings, as they all play other positions on the field, as well.

It works out very well for us as we also have 4 primary pitchers who all throw very different stuff - so the catchers learn to catch both flamethrowers and finesse pitchers.

It is not uncommon for our team to play 4+ games in one day - so all the pitchers / catchers get a decent amount of innings.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
During our showcase years we had 2 catchers that had an uneven split in duties and a third that only caught when needed. When at showcases we allowed the college coaches to determine who caught each game. If a coach was there specifically to see one of them, that is who was behind the plate.

Catcher #1 -- Was our primary catcher. Interestingly, she was being recruited by a D1 to play outfield so that is where she played whenever that coach was present. She spent most of the time for us behind the plate.

Catcher #2 -- Catcher in high school but played 3b for us. Typically played 3b unless catcher #1 was in the outfield or needed a break. Recruited as a 3b/of for her college team.

Catcher #3 -- Catcher in high school but was recruited to play center field in college. Committed shortly before our showcases started, so she typically played CF unless another need came up. For example, at one tournament a coach was there to see catcher #1 play outfield, while another coach was there to see catcher #2 play 3b. Luckily we were able to move catcher #3 behind the plate.

It's great having that type of flexibility. Makes the coach's job so much easier...

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
3-4 catchers on team is about right for a 16u/18U showcase team which usually has 16-18 players. I don't know how many weekends we played in the fall with a full squad. There is always something interfering with players time. ACT/SAT, tutoring class, homecoming events, college camps, college visits, illness, funerals, volleyball playoffs, FFA events, Theater performance, etc. A seasoned coach should be able to do a good job of getting playing time each weekend.

It will not always be equal since some innings last longer than others. We are playing a 90 minute game, and coach will split time at 45 minutes. Catcher plays 2 very long innings, and gets one AB, 2nd catcher comes in and plays 4 innings since the defense was able to turnover the innings pretty efficiently. I know some Pitcher parents that got all in tizzy because they felt as though their DD was an afterthought. Well, maybe. Trying to get first pitcher recruited and college coaches wanted to see her pitch. 2nd pitcher didn't have any coaches coming to look at her. Today: Neither player plays in college and they attend the same school.

May 6, 2015
I was under the impression that tournament teams and showcase teams are different. The goal of a tournament team is to win the tournament, and the goal of a showcase team is to showcase the talent of players, and to look good doing it.

I've seen tournament teams play their #1 catcher through 2 of the 3 pool games, then the next day play the #1 catcher through all of the bracket games.

I'd heard it was common for a showcase team to give each player a couple of innings during each showcase game. Is that not the standard?
they wont have a #2 catcher for long, they will have a #5 catcher, and when they play in scorching weather, will get toasted. DD is here teams #1C, but has no issues splitting the time pretty evenly. she also enjoys playing OF.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
HS aged teams (the whole showcase/tournament team is meaningless and what coaches say to try to recruit players)

2 primary position Catchers and at least 1 player who can play there if needed if something happens.

Good HS travel coaches will split time pretty evenly for all events - change every other game or split each game.
If they can't do that, then they really don't have 2 catchers - they have one catcher and one who they think isn't up to it (right or wrong)

Having 3 catchers - is like having three #1 level pitchers - there generally just isn't enough game time to go around to keep them all happy at catcher. I mean you can carry 3 - but only because you don't care about what happens to the third one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802