How important is SPEED?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Let’s assume we are talking about a 15 year old sophomore in high school who wants to pitch for a top 50 D1 softball school. She has above average GPA and scored in the top 25 percentile on SAT’s.

1) How important is speed?
2) What do you consider the minimum speed this kid should throw?
3) How many breaking pitches should she have that actually break?

I want to hear from anyone who has experience on this subject. Please indicate if you are a college coach and at what level do you coach.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I have coached travel (all ages) and High School (1 State Championship). Not sure if I have the correct answer by todays standard. Last year I watched the so called National Championship HS game that was here in Fla. Both pitchers were signed by Top 25 programs. Only one was going to school as a pitcher. They both threw consistenly in the low 60's. The difference was in the breaking pitches. Pitcher going to Alabama to pitch had better breaking pitches. They would break much later and sharper. There was not a big difference in their speed. Hope that helps.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How important is speed?

The less movement you have on the ball, the faster you have to throw. However, there are minimums. I've seen two kids who had great rises but threw 55 MPH fail as pitchers at mid-tier D1 schools.

What do you consider the minimum speed this kid should throw?

Probably 61 or 62 MPH to play at a top 50 D1 school.

How many breaking pitches should she have that actually break?

She needs one breaking pitch that is outstanding--either a drop or rise. How much of a break? The pitch should look like a belt high fastball, but end up outside the strike zone.

Anything beyond that is OK...If she has one, she can learn the drop or screw without much of a problem.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I coached at 2 NJCAA's in IL.

What I have learned from friends that have kids that went to major D1s, is the higher the grade point average the better. If a girl has a 3.5 in HS, she might get a 2.5 in college. So, get the grades up and take advanced courses.

At 15, she should already have had contact with some coaches.

Speed at the major D1s - depending on how much she can progress, throwing 65 as a senior. (Pure guess)

I see the college girls with 2 breaking pitches, that work.

Sarah Akamine came into UofAz. planning on playing 3rd and was called on to pitch. She probably could have been a #1 at many other schools. I am trying to think of who the back up to Mowatt, was. She had been all everything in CA. and transferred to Texas A and M, to finally get a chance.

Attitude and grades will get you a lot of looks, if you are above 60 as a 15 YO.

May 18, 2009
What about wins? Would you rather have a girl that throws 2mph faster and wins 70% of her games or a girl that throws 2mph slower and wins 80% of her games?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Obviously faster is perceived to be better. As you go down in velocity you better get the ability to locate the pitch more accurately. In addition you better make the ball move more. Finally the ability to change speeds needs to be there no matter how hard you throw. This is the obvious answer that I am sure you already knew when you asked the question. As far as minimum amount of speed, I'd say about 54 mph in D-1 if you have great control/ ball movement and change of speeds.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I asked because I only "kind of" know the answer.

I also asked because I think people (parents) need to know that it's OK to bring the radar gun out at practice/tournaments.

Jul 26, 2010
What about wins? Would you rather have a girl that throws 2mph faster and wins 70% of her games or a girl that throws 2mph slower and wins 80% of her games?

Wins at what? The meaning of winning is relative to ones competition.

If we're talking about college athletes competing in the same division (D1 for instance), then of course winning is more important. Cat Osterman is a case in point here. She holds all kinds of records but was always about 4mph slower then her peers, she dominated with great breaking pitches.

If we're talking about a kid who might be a HS star or dominating her rec or state travel ball league, then no, winning doesn't really mean much. . . but if she's winning the ASA nationals, it's a different story.

It's not ok to bring the radar gun to games. Want your daughter to pitch slower? Put a gun in front of her. The kid has enough going on without some fruitloop parent with a gun behind the backstop pestering her.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478