How important is 14U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
DD is an 06 that will be playing 14U in the fall. If she wants to play college ball what should you be looking for at 14U from her team? My DD loves to play but not sure if she wants to play college ball but will tell you that she wants to win a state championship in school. Pitches 4X a week, hitting every day, asking to go to practice at the moment, and works extra on conditioning. Plays high level 12A ball and can play with the same team next year (no problems) or play with a better older team but they play more local. Coaching both have pluses. Friends on both teams Local would be a lot cheaper but would make either one work.

Jun 12, 2015
If she's on a high level team she really likes, I wouldn't change it for an unknown. I also think the social side matters too. Mine is a late 06 and she'd be with girls a lot older than she is if she skipped 14U, talking about things that perhaps she has not thought about yet. I'd prefer her stay with girls close to her age.

May 20, 2016
Mine's an 06 as well. I'll tell you from exp she played JV in school this year with 16YOs. They have very different conversations than 12YOs. When it comes to pitching i don't think it matters what age group you are playing in. If you're good, they'll find you.

Jan 28, 2017
TY. My DD played 3 years of 12 and the other team is basically a team she played with the previous two years. We stayed down this year for her to play as and older kid for the first time and make sure socially she wasn't rushed.

ON the current team she would be the ace. On the new team she would be number 2 unless she improves. Both have pluses and minus again. On the current team she doesn't get a lot of playing time when she isn't pitching. New team she would play more in the infield. The #1 also goes to her school and I'm not sure how much my DD will pitch later on. I think a lot but not sure. Girls are more local on the new team and socially she is a little closer to them than her current team. She gets along with everyone but actually some of the girls on the new team go to her school and same grade.

If we switched then we would have to find a new team the following year again.

When do they need to be seen? DD will be in 8th grade come fall.

Apr 12, 2015
My DD loves to play but not sure if she wants to play college ball but will tell you that she wants to win a state championship in school.

My DD is the EXACT same. Has zero interest in playing beyond the High School level, but wants to be a great player. She made varsity and won a state title with her high school this year as an 8th grader

As far as being "important", most girls I know play at least one year of 14U. Most skip 16U.

The biggest shock for my DD from playing 14U to playing HS ball with older girls had nothing to do with the game of softball. As was mentioned earlier, what they talk about is much, much different.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
14U is important and interesting. The game really speeds up, and you really find out what you have. If you're looking for college ball, a team that plays higher level is certainly desired, but it appears you already have that. I don't see as many good players skipping 16s as some others apparently do. With the new college recruiting rules, 14-16 seems the sweet spot for getting noticed. Most of the those who I see skip 16U are lesser players more filling holes on 18U teams than carrying them. There are a load of good 16U teams around me here in middle-America...I think more than good 18U teams. There are several 16Us that can enter an 18 open and win wire-to-wire.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
With the new college recruiting rules, 14-16 seems the sweet spot for getting noticed.

This is an interesting point. DD plays for a large org, and they disbanded the 16U team and folded the players into their 18U teams this past offseason. But I can see where the new rules would make the 16's the place to be for coaches scouting players that they can talk to for the first time. I could see the 16-18 split shaping up like minor league baseball, where AA is the home of all the legit prospects while AAA is filled with also-rans and guys trying to hold on at the end of their career.

Apr 16, 2013
Around here most tournaments are listed as "HS" which is 16/18u combined. Only the really big tournaments do we have them split. From what I've seen (first year 16u) the true 18u teams aren't dominating, but you can tell they have more experience. Very polished and don't make the same mental mistakes that the younger teams make.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802