How important are stats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
IMHO unless you have 2 really good teams playing each other, keeping accurate defensive stats other than assists, putouts, and errors would be difficult. There may be some exceptions now with computerized software scorekeeping, but with the compressed field size, the games move too fast. We all know that in girls fastpitch softball you see plays, attempted plays, baserunning etc., that almost never happen in baseball games.

Nov 18, 2013
I agree that HS stats are far from exact. When the all conference meetings are held and some coaches submit their nominees and supporting stats sometimes it becomes a head shaker.

Spoke to an AC at the college level recently about this and he indicated stats are only a small piece when looking at HS players.

I did stats for my daughters former HS team. One of her players made All-State and I was dumbfounded as to how she got the votes. Then I saw the final stats submitted for her weren’t even close to what I gave the coach.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Agreed. I did the books for a team this year. If i felt someone could or should make a play and they didn't, i marked it as an error. And my DD was the first to get an error in a case like that.

As it should be! Was it a makeable play or not? This year in a HS game, Anna just had one of those games at SS, two great diving plays, one glove side, one backhand side, she turned two double plays at very crucial times, caught a pop up behind 3B and slid into the fence, just a great game! After the game the other AC came to me and said she had an error, where......when?

The lady / mom/ idiot keeping Game Changer gave her an error for a diving play that was 8 to 10 feet on the 2B side of the bag that she tipped with her glove! I didn't say anything, didn't care, but the HC asked her about it.......she said she didn't care, if she can touch it, she can catch it no matter the situation! :rolleyes: He shook his head and walked away!

Dec 11, 2010
If I was doing the book the criteria for my DD being charged with an error would be "Could Ozzie Smith have made that play??" :ROFLMAO:

Lol! She needs to do a backflip when she takes the field too!

if she can touch it, she can catch it no matter the situation! :rolleyes:

This was always our approach too! We gave so many poor little girls e’s they will be in therapy for the next 20 years! (Not as bad as AD’s example but still! We were brutal!)

Then we started watching a lot of college softball and it seemed like NOTHING was an error, especially in pre-conference play. The NCAA score keepers know how to put the Ordinary in Ordinary Effort.

To be fair, a lot of coaches of young kids do this to prevent the “gee whiz that’s a hard hit ball” scoring I guess.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Lol! She needs to do a backflip when she takes the field too!

This was always our approach too! We gave so many poor little girls e’s they will be in therapy for the next 20 years! (Not as bad as AD’s example but still! We were brutal!)

Then we started watching a lot of college softball and it seemed like NOTHING was an error, especially in pre-conference play. The NCAA score keepers know how to put the Ordinary in Ordinary Effort.

To be fair, a lot of coaches of young kids do this to prevent the “gee whiz that’s a hard hit ball” scoring I guess.

Same as our scorekeeper... he was pretty brutal too. In fact, we were playing in Canada and had scoreboards and scorekeepers. After the final game (which was a good one, lost in INT) the scoreboard showed us with 1 error, game changer has us with 3 errors... hahaha

Jun 11, 2013
Giving errors on plays that aren't errors is no better than giving hits on plays that should be errors. You can't just make up rules like if it hits their glove and they don't make the play it's an error. If a fielder is a statue and isn't getting to some balls that's not an error. I'm a firm believe that the scoring rules need to be changed, but until they are you should at least try and use them.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Giving errors on plays that aren't errors is no better than giving hits on plays that should be errors. You can't just make up rules like if it hits their glove and they don't make the play it's an error. If a fielder is a statue and isn't getting to some balls that's not an error. I'm a firm believe that the scoring rules need to be changed, but until they are you should at least try and use them.

But which one is correct? In our game, I believe our scorekeeper was correct. Case in point, our pitcher fielded a bunt, dropped it, then threw to 1B late. Our scorekeeper gave an E-1... the "official" scorekeepers at the game gave a hit.

Dec 11, 2010
Yup, and if she doesn't then any play, made or not, ERROR!! No Daddy scoring here!!

Overheard at the hotel bar: “So there was this guy with a slide rule in right field. Nice guy, minding his own business. Talking to some dude that is talking about how if it isn’t Heart Of The Hide, don’t do it. Was wearing a Don Morton Rocks tee shirt? What is that? So anyway, this kid goes all the way across the field, makes a diving catch, rolls over, pops up to her feet and makes the throw but she sails the ball. The guy in right field jumps up and yells ‘OZZIE SAYS “E”, BABYGURL!!!’ I was stunned. I was standing by Patty Gasso when it happened. She starts nodding and I hear her say ‘hell yes that’s an E, but that player is ACCOUNTABLE.’ and she walks straight over and grabs a player sheet. I swear that’s exactly what happened.”

I should write for SNL, lol

Jun 8, 2016
Overheard at the hotel bar: “So there was this guy with a slide rule in right field. Nice guy, minding his own business. Talking to some dude that is talking about how if it isn’t Heart Of The Hide, don’t do it. Was wearing a Don Morton Rocks tee shirt? What is that? So anyway, this kid goes all the way across the field, makes a diving catch, rolls over, pops up to her feet and makes the throw but she sails the ball. The guy in right field jumps up and yells ‘OZZIE SAYS “E”, BABYGURL!!!’ I was stunned. I was standing by Patty Gasso when it happened. She starts nodding and I hear her say ‘hell yes that’s an E, but that player is ACCOUNTABLE.’ and she walks straight over and grabs a player sheet. I swear that’s exactly what happened.”

I should write for SNL, lol
You laugh but sometimes I view my DD's play through that sort of lense..it isn't fun believe me.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478