How has the college softball spring season gone with COVID restrictions?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2014
Just wondering how other daughters have fared at college during this strange COVID spring season? We're obviously really grateful that they got to play any games at all, compared to last year's disappointment as a 2020 senior. Mine landed up transferring from a strictly online, completely closed campus situation, to a school with a relatively open campus with in-person classes. There were some periods where some or all players were quarantined for 2 weeks and games were cancelled. And, a few times where they hid out in their dorms waiting on COVID test results for certain players. We know of one family who will not be sending their daughter back due to the expense of attending out of state, while having only online classes and a closed campus, which made it less of a true college campus experience for their freshman. I hope this fall goes much better for college students in general!

Jun 11, 2012
DD had as close to normal season as they could. No preseason trip and they played in pod so they played Sat/Sun/Wed double headers against the same team and then the next week it switched.
They only had one player need to quarantine but did have a 6 games pause that was sort of non-Covid related.
The biggest issue was players quitting because they didn’t want to play with restrictions. The team started the year with 21 players, had 17 when practices fully started and then had 3 quit after the season started. And of course rumor is that half of those kids want to come back since next year should be normal. Should be interesting.
DD will be taking advantage of the 5th year of eligibility as she was accepted in to an accelerated masters program.

Oct 23, 2014
...The biggest issue was players quitting because they didn’t want to play with restrictions. The team started the year with 21 players, had 17 when practices fully started and then had 3 quit after the season started. And of course rumor is that half of those kids want to come back since next year should be normal. Should be interesting. ...
We don't feel great about having DD make the jump to another school with an open campus, since by the end of spring they had half the players they started out with. We were also downright sad because this was her dream school for the last 3 years. The biggest factors with players leaving the program were cancelled courses due to the online requirement, and the "social issues" that arose from the student athletes themselves in this closed campus situation. I don't think we knew of any that quit simply due to restrictions like face masks, quarantining, etc.

Jun 11, 2012
We don't feel great about having DD make the jump to another school with an open campus, since by the end of spring they had half the players they started out with. We were also downright sad because this was her dream school for the last 3 years. The biggest factors with players leaving the program were cancelled courses due to the online requirement, and the "social issues" that arose from the student athletes themselves in this closed campus situation. I don't think we knew of any that quit simply due to restrictions like face masks, quarantining, etc.
The school my DD goes to has more students living off campus than on so even with online classes last year the kids were mostly there.
The ones that quit after the season started were saying it was because of the anxiety they were having from the restrictions and getting tested 3x a week.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FPVQ23