How fast to first base????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2020
I send my 7yo to a speed and agility class for this reason. She is very fast and runs track in a 9yo division. Her problem is that just like a sprinter it takes her a second to get to full speed. At 20 yards she will barely beat kids, but at 40 yards she will be 7 or 8 steps ahead of them. Her favorite race to run in track is the 200m.

I have two DDs and DD #1 actually has the opposite problem. She is 18 and is in her first year of college and she accelerates very quickly. Her jr year of high school she ran track and she ran 100,200, 4x100, and 4x200. My DD was probably tied for the fastest girl on the track team but the tack team was really slow so that’s not saying much. My DD would always lead the 100m by a good few steps until the 50m mark and then she’d start to get passed but she would still be in the top 3 until the 65 meter mark and that’s when the long acceleration of track players helped almost everyone pass her. She got 8th of 16... so let’s just say she went back to softball the next year but she does want to do indoor track because of the 60m dash which both me and her believe she could do well in. Her favorite was the 4x100 because she’s really good at running turns and not too good at running straight so she enjoyed running the curve and passing people who passed her in the 100m dash.

Feb 13, 2020
Assuming you meant 20 yard dash vs 20 year dash. ;)

This is a very common misconception about Usain Bolt. He may have looked slow due to his long legs, but he was in fact one of the fastest accelerators out there; he could just accelerate longer (for more time/distance) than anyone else and he took less strides doing so. That makes it true that it takes him longer to get to full speed, but his full speed is much faster than anyone else’s. One of his 20m times was 2.87s (20m is farther than 20 yards). Only a very very very small percentage of the world’s population could run that fast, let alone faster.

Here is a site comparing his 10m split times with other greats: http://speedendurance.com/2008/08/22/usain-bolt-100m-10-meter-splits-and-speed-endurance/

Here is a site showing his 10m splits for 2 of his races: http://speedendurance.com/2009/08/19/usain-bolt-10-meter-splits-fastest-top-speed-2008-vs-2009/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I actually didn’t know that... thanks for the info. I’m not sure where the other guy got bolt taking 3.05 seconds to get to first

Dec 2, 2019
I have two DDs and DD #1 actually has the opposite problem. She is 18 and is in her first year of college and she accelerates very quickly. Her jr year of high school she ran track and she ran 100,200, 4x100, and 4x200. My DD was probably tied for the fastest girl on the track team but the tack team was really slow so that’s not saying much. My DD would always lead the 100m by a good few steps until the 50m mark and then she’d start to get passed but she would still be in the top 3 until the 65 meter mark and that’s when the long acceleration of track players helped almost everyone pass her. She got 8th of 16... so let’s just say she went back to softball the next year but she does want to do indoor track because of the 60m dash which both me and her believe she could do well in. Her favorite was the 4x100 because she’s really good at running turns and not too good at running straight so she enjoyed running the curve and passing people who passed her in the 100m dash.
MY DD likes getting the inside lane in the 200 because in her 7yo brain she thinks they are giving the other girls a head start with the staggered start in the corner. She will tell me after every win that they gave all those girls a headstart and that she still beat them.

Feb 13, 2020
MY DD likes getting the inside lane in the 200 because in her 7yo brain she thinks they are giving the other girls a head start with the staggered start in the corner. She will tell me after every win that they gave all those girls a headstart and that she still beat them.

That’s really cute and your daughter is way more competitive than mine was at 7. We put DD1 into softball at the age of 9 and she cared so little for the sport that at random times in the game she would walk off the field and ask for a hotdog ... I am so surprised and proud that she grew into the softball player she is today

Oct 23, 2013
Chicagoland
15 yo DD at camp did Laser timed 20 on gym floor from sprinter stance start in 3.01. Feel she could of done better if she had more practice, especially with start. Fastest was girl from Cali @ 2.95.

Same DD @ 16 yo - from left side slapping, timing from contact, her fastest is about 2.78. Not sure what she does hitting away but guess around 3 or so.

She is usually the fastest on team.

Switched to left @ 14u for slapping, but has mostly hitting away.
Recruited sophomore year, just before rule change, for outfield @ mid-major,
Not sure what their plans are for her as far as hitting goes.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...the girls can’t beat Usain Bolt in a 100m race but they could beat him in a 20 year dash because like all professional track runners Bolt takes a while to get to full speed. In fact the whole 20 yds would probably just be Bolt accelerating while the fastest softball girls accelerate as quickly as they can.

Now that is funny! Sorry, Bolt or any world class sprinter would leave them in the dust after the first step.

Feb 13, 2020
Now that is funny! Sorry, Bolt or any world class sprinter would leave them in the dust after the first step.

I’m not saying the average softball player could beat him in a race but the fastest of the fastest might be able to. For example I can’t remember who it was but the fastest softball player was officially timed at a 2.55 20 yard dash which as a previous comment pointed out is faster than bolt’s recorded time of a 2.86 20 yard dash. So yes the fastest softball players could probably beat bolt in a 20 yard dash because bolt and other professional track sprinters don’t get to full speed for a while. So while the fastest softball player would lose in a 100m dash they would have a decent chance of beating bolt in the 20yd dash but VERY few softball players could run faster than a 2.86 but some can.

Feb 11, 2018
I’m not saying the average softball player could beat him in a race but the fastest of the fastest might be able to. For example I can’t remember who it was but the fastest softball player was officially timed at a 2.55 20 yard dash which as a previous comment pointed out is faster than bolt’s recorded time of a 2.86 20 yard dash. So yes the fastest softball players could probably beat bolt in a 20 yard dash because bolt and other professional track sprinters don’t get to full speed for a while. So while the fastest softball player would lose in a 100m dash they would have a decent chance of beating bolt in the 20yd dash but VERY few softball players could run faster than a 2.86 but some can.

20m is nearly 6 feet longer than 20 yards. That is about a single stride for Bolt. I’d wager that would equal about 0.2 or 0.25s. Then the question about whether or not the start of the softball race was started by hand or by a gun or gun like object. Most sports other than track either start when someone says go, or on first movement. First movement would significantly decrease the time because there is the time it takes the starter to press the button after recognizing the movement, and the athlete, if done right, can actually help themselves with angles and such before they actually move enough to trigger the watcher to start. There are lots of other interesting things about how the race was started that could factor in too.

Very interesting to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 25, 2019
It certainly is a good thing to see how fast a girl is, but it really isn't accurate when it fails to take into game time situations. Girls hit the ball differently, depending on the hit will determine how fast a girl gets to first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood