How fast is fast - running

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 12, 2008
Albany NY
The average Home-to-second speed on my 12U team is 7.03 seconds. girls range from 6.38 to 7.51. Does anyone have any data about running speed at various levels 12U and up?

Jul 21, 2008
Anything under 3 sec from home to first is very good. This is from contact with the bat to foot hitting first base. 12u girls will most likely be a little slower.

Dec 28, 2008
Surprising that all of the girls on your team are within 1 second of each other. I do a lot of clinics on baserunning for teams and typically see near 1 second difference between girls in 12U on just first to second times due in part to speed, but more importantly reaction time and ability to get up to speed quickly (explode.) So I'm guessing you've spent time on drills with them so that they all explode out of the box and round first base pretty well or I would expect higher differences in time.

In order for anyone to share times they capture ... Were your timings done with them stopping on second or sliding into second or perhaps running through second?

Dec 12, 2008
Albany NY
One of the reasons the girls times are close together is that we placed a lot of emphasis in tryouts based on speed. Our game is too pressure the defense with aggressive baserunning, stealing, bunting, etc. The times were taken with the girls running right thru 2nd base. Many of the girls we had last year and worked quite a bit on baserunning technique. This year we're getting them into some exercise programs to improve their explosiveness getting out of the bos or off the bases.

Oct 8, 2008
Long Island, NY
Our team is a 1st year 14U team so most of the girls have just turned 13. I timed them in November going home to first before we started working out and adding conditioning to our workout just to get a baseline time. The average time was 3.36, with a low of 3.02 and high of 3.78 (mostly catchers at the high end).

I have purchased all of Marc Dagenais conditioning and dynamic warm-ups DVD's and we do conditioning twice a week. I will keep you updated on our progress as the we get closer to the season.

Dec 12, 2008
Albany NY
On puzzle pieces - if happens that most of our best players are the fastest and most aggressive. Our two catchers are actually quite quick - one is the fastest on the team and the other is middle of the pack. The slowest is our best pitcher - a good tradeoff. But when we picked the team we look at many aspects, position by position to try and get the strongest group.

We have also purchased Marc's programs. I'd love to email/speak with you off-line about how you are doing getting it started...

May 12, 2008
Quick is better but I wouldn't turn down Nuveman either. If you have fast girls that make the outfielders turn around and run, great. Love speed but someone needs to hit doubles or better.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The Divn one coach that my daughter goes to uses 2.8 as the cut off time for a good slapper from home to first. She just turned 14 and is at 2.84. We had one 15 year old at at 2.67 . Some coaches measure this time different, but the college coaches I know all do it the same. Start from the left side of the plate , no bat, as fast as you can run across first base.

May 12, 2008
For uniformity I like timing when the last foot leaves home plate till the first foot touches first base. Nothing magic about that except for an attempt at uniformity. One of the most effective small college slappers I ever saw was 3 from game contact to first, but, she could place the ball like a pool shark placing the cue ball and she could drive it over F8's head if she cheated. I'm pretty sure she could have carried her act to a higher level. As to 2.8 2.7 range home to first, I like that for a versatile slapper like the one I described above. For a pure slapper, she better be 2.5 2.6 speaking of college. Anyone know what Autumn Champion was contact to contact in games? I've got video somewhere but finding it would be a chore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802