How far is to far to give up the base?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Even if the runner ran away from her in a straight line to avoid a tag this would not be an out because she never deviated 3 feet from her basepath to avoid the tag.
We see this all the time during a game and it is only illegal if a B/R retreats toward the plate.

Yeah, it would since the base path is a direct line from the point where the BR was standing at the time of the strike to 1B. Moving 3' in any direction off of that imaginary line to avoid a tag would result in an out of base path ruling

Mar 15, 2014
Yeah, it would since the base path is a direct line from the point where the BR was standing at the time of the strike to 1B. Moving 3' in any direction off of that imaginary line to avoid a tag would result in an out of base path ruling
Negative--that is the baseline, not path.
A runner makes her own basepath that has nothing to do with the baselines.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2010
I know you meant as a joke, but if the batter swings a pitch in the dirt it's a dropped 3rd. If you have a good drop ball pitcher it happens often.

I was partially joking. The point is that it's the defense that put themselves in a bad situation (runner on 3rd, pitch in the dirt). A good defensive play will be needed to get out it unscathed - (quick recognition and tag or a hard throw, catch, throw, catch, tag with F3)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Negative--that is the baseline, not path.
A runner makes her own basepath that has nothing to do with the baselines.

You better work on your reading skills because I neither mentioned or described a "baseline".

Jun 1, 2015
IMO, wrong all the way around. Announcing the lack of a catch is coaching at a regular level, but not helping them to learn to think for themselves. Same with tagging the offensive player when not necessary. Again, JMHO

I don't disagree. I coach a 16U team and tell them, "By this point you should know to be prepared to run on a strike 3 call". However it's what I'm told to do by the Board I work under, so being a good little minion, I do as told. >.<

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I don't disagree. I coach a 16U team and tell them, "By this point you should know to be prepared to run on a strike 3 call". However it's what I'm told to do by the Board I work under, so being a good little minion, I do as told. >.<

I understand local direction and don't have a problem with it. However, what happens when an umpire doesn't make such a declaration? Where do you draw the line?

IMO, and that is all it is, you and your fellow umpires are not doing the players and coaches any favors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478