How far away is your softball playing DD's college?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

If your DD plays (or played) softball in college how far away from home is her school?

• 0 to 1 hour (driving)

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • 1 to 5 hours

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • 5 to 10 hours

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • > 10 hours

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD's college is a 90 minute drive from home. Most of her games were within a 3 hour drive, with some exceptions. They typically played 8 to 10 games in Florida during the spring. Unfortunately, much of DD's college career was marred by Covid. The 2020 season was completely lost with the exception of 2 scrimmages that occurred prior to the pandemic. Most games during the 2021 season were without spectators. A few schools in her conference permitted spectators, so we attended those. Unfortunately most did not, including her school.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
With my daughter being so close, I'll be able to see a lot of games in person. We have three colleges on Long Island in our conference, and one uses our field for its home games, so that adds even more I can watch live.

The challenge will be when my younger daughter has a HS game at the same time. Which one do I go watch?
This is our conundrum. DD2 is a Senior playing her last season of softball. DD1 playing her last season of softball too.

HS plays Tues/Fridays. Looks like I will be splitting time. Tues for HS and Fri/Sat college. DD2 is on her own. She also works at Chick Fil A, so she will be busy.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD's former TB HC's DD played at Southern MIssissippi which is 7 hours away. She was pitcher and they had a pretty good idea where she was is in the rotation. They never missed a single game. He told me stories of driving home at 3am on Sundays. This is back in the 2000's. They didn't have the luxury of streaming.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
When they were in college, the closest was about 1.5 hours and the farthest was about 9 hours ... Now out of college they are about 12 hours away for various levels of softball and Semi-Pro Womans Football ... Their softball teams seldom travel far (except for Nationals) and have never made it close to here in VA ... Football travels and can be as close as 2 hours (Richmond - but that game was pandemic canceled) ... Closest game I've made was 6 hours - Philadelphia.

Mar 8, 2016
DD is 4.5 hours away. Covid year they did not allow fans till senior day. Last year DW and I where able to make most weekend games bit missed most all the weekday games. DD also had 2 major injuries and missed half of the regular season. Luckily for us the D3 WCWS was only 40 minutes from our house. DD was unhappy because she would have much rather flown somewhere. For the first game I was able to work a half day and still make the game.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
You learn something new everyday, I never knew Semi-Pro women's football existed. How did she get into that?

Either did I ... One of the DD's was working out a the gym she usually goes to ... A girl that she would see there often working out told her that she ought to try out for the football team ... One of the other DD's had been playing flag rec on Sunday mornings near there ... So, she thought that it would be cool to surprise her sister and show up on an opposing team one Sunday AM ... She went to the try out ... Turned out it was full contact, pads and all Semi-Pro ... But she had fun and told 2 of her sisters about it ... The next week they were there ... They asked me my opinion and I told them that I thought they were going to get killed and that the only thing they knew about football was that when I was watching a game they should get me a beer ... All 3 made that team ... Turns out they found out that they like hitting people.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2019
Either did I ... One of the DD's was working out a the gym she usually goes to ... A girl that she would see there often working out told her that she ought to try out for the football team ... One of the other DD's had been playing flag rec on Sunday mornings near there ... So, she thought that it would be cool to surprise her sister and show up on an opposing team one Sunday AM ... She went to the try out ... Turned out it was full contact, pads and all Semi-Pro ... But she had fun and told 2 of her sisters about it ... The next week they were there ... They asked me my opinion and I told them that I thought they were going to get killed and that the only thing they knew about football was that when I was watching a game they should get me a beer ... All 3 made that team ... Turns out they found out that they like hitting people.
That's a great story! DD loves playing powderpuff but I could really see her loving to hit people too 😂😂

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
That's a great story! DD loves playing powderpuff but I could really see her loving to hit people too 😂😂

Check around your area ... There may be a team near you and most teams have a program to introduce younger girls who are currently playing (for their HS or a local rec team) or are interested in playing.

As a side note ... With 3 DD's on the team the coaches refer to them as the Hansons ...

Jun 24, 2011
DD is a 5-10 hour flight away, depending on if there is a layover or if it's non-stop. We'll make the flight to NYC this year for senior day weekend. We've been able to drive to watch her play live in Fresno (7 hours) and Phoenix (5 hours), but this year's west coast tourney is in Hawaii. Thank God for ESPN+

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802