How far a pitcher jumps out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 8, 2020
Does this impact velocity? If a pitcher jumps out say 6 ft vs. 7ft, does it make that big of a difference?

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
How much energy you generate driving off the rubber definitely affects velocity. This drive energy accounts for at least 10% of pitch velocity, which is very significant. The difference between throwing 50mph from Power K and 55mph from the rubber. The focus should be on how fast and explosively the pitcher gets off the rubber, rather than how far out she goes. What I have found in a small sample of younger pitchers (12U, 14U) is the more they focus on getting out as far as they can (reaching out with their stride leg rather than driving off with their drive foot), it introduces a series of mechanical issues. Elite level pitchers typically get out 8-12" farther than they are tall.

Nov 8, 2018
625 makes a valid point. Closer you are the quicker it gets there. The caveat is that it isn’t necessarily that which makes the pitches faster. Energy , timing and mechanics will effect speed more than drive length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 23, 2015
625 makes a valid point. Closer you are the quicker it gets there. The caveat is that it isn’t necessarily that which makes the pitches faster. Energy , timing and mechanics will effect speed more than drive length.

Correct. The most energy a pitcher will have is off that initial drive. Pitchers immediately start to decelerate the millisecond she leaves the rubber

Pitchers that over focus on their leap will often times start jumping up instead of driving towards the plate. Thats a leak

Nov 8, 2018
Correct. The most energy a pitcher will have is off that initial drive. Pitchers immediately start to decelerate the millisecond she leaves the rubber

Pitchers that over focus on their leap will often times start jumping up instead of driving towards the plate. Thats a leak

Yup. Dd does it when she is “trying” to pitch hard. Never works. Loses complete control. And spin for that matter

Oct 4, 2018
I do recall our very first pitching instructor (DD was 9 at the time) saying if she could get her stride to be as long as she is tall that's a good thing to shoot for in 10U. It was a teaching tip that resonated with her, for what it's worth.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD used to mark the circle with her heal with a minimum and maximum distance. Occasionally she would look down to see if she was in her range.

Jul 11, 2020
On average a pitchers stride should equal how tall she is. This is a reference point and not an absolute. My biggest tip when it comes to stride is marking where her plant foot should land every single time. Inconsistency with plant placements results in off timing and therefore less strikes. Have her practice dry pitches where she only works the bottom half of the body with hands on her hips. Practice exploding off the rubber, planting and completely follow through with a toe to heal drag. A pitch starts with the feet. If the feet are wrong the the whole pitch is wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee