How exactly does committing/signing work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I can't fully explain how little sense this makes in the context of this discussion. You're cherry picking my words and building strawmen. Whoever said that, as an employer, you have to make some kind of "choice" between high grades and high SAT scores? We're talking about getting into college. With a reasonable bit of preparation, one follows the other.

Students have to take tests once in college. If you're a STEM major, some of those tests can be pretty difficult, and most all of them are timed. If you're in a major that eventually requires a professional licensing exam, every one that comes to mind is more involved and difficult than an SAT/ACT. You'd better be ready for it.
You're saying someone who says they're not a good standardized test taker is using it as a cop out. Those are your words, not mine.

As I referenced in a prior post, my niece had a 104 weighted GPA, and was ranked 4th out of 600 in her class. She struggled with the SAT, yet amazingly enough still managed to finish that high in a highly competitive HS. Oh, she also graduated with a perfect 4.0 from Stony Brook University, and she's about to graduate #5 in her PA school class.

Her SAT scores were right around 1200. She prepared as much as anyone, and she took numerous courses to get her score higher. Unfortunately, she just doesn't test well on standardized tests. Is that still a cop out?

May 27, 2022
I was surprised by this, and even more surprised to see that OSU's acceptance rate is ~70%.

Funny ancedotal story w.r.t. OK. My DD ended up at a D2 School in Oklahoma her Freshman year. When she was scheduling her spring classes, one of her teammates told her that classes X, Y, and Z were too hard to fit into one semester. But, she needed those to stay on track so she went to visit the professor about it and he told her
"You are from Iowa, right?"
"Yes"
"I am from Wisconsin, our states have a better education system, you will be fine taking those together"

And she was.

:ROFLMAO:

Jun 8, 2016
Funny ancedotal story w.r.t. OK. My DD ended up at a D2 School in Oklahoma her Freshman year. When she was scheduling her spring classes, one of her teammates told her that classes X, Y, and Z were too hard to fit into one semester. But, she needed those to stay on track so she went to visit the professor about it and he told her
"You are from Iowa, right?"
"Yes"
"I am from Wisconsin, our states have a better education system, you will be fine taking those together"

And she was.

:ROFLMAO:
That isn't funny tbh...true..but not funny...There are some towns in OK where the K-12 schools are pretty good (Norman being one of them) but in general it is a huge issue. There is an effort here at OU to get our Engineering students up to speed in math skills which they should know in the 10th grade. Not the best use of the State's resources imo..(put that money towards improving the K-12 education..)

May 27, 2013
I can't fully explain how little sense this makes in the context of this discussion. You're cherry picking my words and building strawmen. Whoever said that, as an employer, you have to make some kind of "choice" between high grades and high SAT scores? We're talking about getting into college. With a reasonable bit of preparation, one follows the other.

Students have to take tests once in college. If you're a STEM major, some of those tests can be pretty difficult, and most all of them are timed. If you're in a major that eventually requires a professional licensing exam, every one that comes to mind is more involved and difficult than an SAT/ACT. You'd better be ready for it.
I would say I studied pretty hard for the SAT. Took a lot of practice tests and a prep class and barely cracked 1000. Went to college for nursing and passed my boards without much trouble. Went on for my Master’s to become a nurse practitioner and passed that board exam with flying colors (no prep class) - oh, and graduated 1st in my class. I guess I debunked that theory.

Aug 5, 2022
I would say I studied pretty hard for the SAT. Took a lot of practice tests and a prep class and barely cracked 1000. Went to college for nursing and passed my boards without much trouble. Went on for my Master’s to become a nurse practitioner and passed that board exam with flying colors (no prep class) - oh, and graduated 1st in my class. I guess I debunked that theory.

You give me hope for my daughter lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 13, 2020
If paying $1k for a SAT prep or ACT prep would potentially save me more than a $1k per year in tuition/fees via scholarships, I say the prep courses are well worth it. So im pushing DD to make sure she takes the tests. Granted, she doesn't have test taking issues like some kids have - but im planning on having her take both SAT and ACT and likely min of 2 times.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
If paying $1k for a SAT prep or ACT prep would potentially save me more than a $1k per year in tuition/fees via scholarships, I say the prep courses are well worth it. So im pushing DD to make sure she takes the tests. Granted, she doesn't have test taking issues like some kids have - but im planning on having her take both SAT and ACT and likely min of 2 times.
I shared this before. A wise parent told me, instead of paying for another batting lesson you will get a higher ROI on paying for Test Prep.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I shared this before. A wise parent told me, instead of paying for another batting lesson you will get a higher ROI on paying for Test Prep.
Who needs a hitting lesson when you have DFP Hitting Forums? Anybody can be a guru in no time. Hell, I already forgot more about hitting than the average hitting coach.
😂

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
With that said you can have a wildly successful (and more importantly happy) life without being a genius...
In fact, you’ll probably have a happier one if you aren’t. And most of us will never have to worry about it because less than 2% of the population has what would probably be considered a genius-level IQ. I do believe there is something to the saying that someone can be “too smart for their own good.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802