How exactly does committing/signing work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2008
Raleigh NC
My DD asked me this question, and I had no answer. I'd never even thought of it.

When your DD commits/signs to play softball, does she still have to apply to the college? Like write the essays, put the whole package together, and actually do all the things that a non-athlete does?
Wow, can’t believe you’re asking this question. Yeah that’s why they call it student athlete. You still have to qualify to go to the school.

Jun 8, 2016
Actually, the way it works with Early Decision is that you're supposed to withdraw all your other admission applications, if you commit. Normally, the deadline is February 15th to tell them yes or no. Most schools make you sign an affidavit stating you've pulled your other admission applications when you say yes to them, but there is no penalty for withdrawing.

Early action is non-binding. All it does is let you know by Christmas whether or not you're accepted. It can increase your chances slightly since the acceptance rates are slightly better through both early decision and action.

The school will let you know what aid you qualify for before the deadline, so you're not committing blind.
I want to say the penalties are involved if you back out after committing but I could be off (would only be the 10th time today that is true..)

May 7, 2015
SoCal
From out experience going through this process for D1, a school will present a scholarship offer that details the athletic and academic money and the required GPA at graduation to receive it. The offer is basically a 1 page deal outlining the total costs of attending the school (tuition, housing, meals, and books) minus the offers. We were instructed that we could not keep the paper, don't know if that's true or not.

If you say "yes" you've just verbally committed to attend. There is nothing binding for either side (school or player). I've seen schools withdraw offers due to injuries, coaching changes, and unfortunately players not developing enough. I've seen players decide to reopen their recruiting due to numerous things. Athletes who verbally commit then do early applications and if you stick to the terms of your offer are fast tracked thru admissions.

For softball, the first NLI (National Letter of Intent) signing day is Nov 1. Once you sign this paper, it is official.

DD is a 2024 so we haven't been through the latter stages of this process yet.

May 27, 2022
As others have said - the scholarship is contingent on getting accepted into the school. And, the application/acceptance process is, in theory, out of control of the coach.

I believe my daughter had to register with the NCAA clearinghouse and get a number there.

Also, keep in mind that scholarships are a year by year basis. My DD's scholarship value changed every year.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
As others have said - the scholarship is contingent on getting accepted into the school. And, the application/acceptance process is, in theory, out of control of the coach.

I believe my daughter had to register with the NCAA clearinghouse and get a number there.

Also, keep in mind that scholarships are a year by year basis. My DD's scholarship value changed every year.
Did it go up or down? So there is no such thing as a 4 year ride? Do coaches up the scholarship if they fear player is going to the portal?
I always wondered why attorneys have not gotten more involved in this seemly unregulated process and things become more contractual.

Aug 5, 2022
Power 5 scholarships are 4 yr guaranteed now. They can be increased but not reduced. For other conferences you need to have it all spelled out in the NLI and it can change from year to year. Power 5 does allow a coach to fudge the numbers from year to year but the not the overall 4 yr number. So if you sign an NLI that’s equivalent to say 50% each year. They are allowed to do 25% one year but would need to do 75% another year. Other schools will say tuition, books and fees etc instead of a percentage. It’s all non binding until the NLI. We were also told as a 2024 that they could not put it on paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2013
I want to say the penalties are involved if you back out after committing but I could be off (would only be the 10th time today that is true..)

With Early Decision, technically you can back out if the financial aid package offered doesn’t line up with what the Net Price Calculator comes up with. That usually is the only “acceptable” reason barring extreme circumstances.

Will there be penalties if a kid decides not to attend the school after being offered ED for other reasons? Possibly. It could technically affect applications elsewhere if those schools learn of it - if they have a way of finding out. Also, as parents, you sign an agreement stating that you understand the ED process when your kid applies. Your kid’s guidance counselor also is involved. So if your kid decides not to attend, that GC might not want to support that kid through the admissions process at another school. It also might affect future applicants from the same HS at a specific college if kids previously decided not to attend the same college after applying ED.

ETA: I just realized that initially you mentioned ED, but now are saying “commitment.” Please disregard if not referring to ED.

Last edited:
May 27, 2022
Did it go up or down? So there is no such thing as a 4 year ride? Do coaches up the scholarship if they fear player is going to the portal?
I always wondered why attorneys have not gotten more involved in this seemly unregulated process and things become more contractual.
I honestly don't know the exact values. I think for her it kept pretty steady; she was at a D2 school and did well enough and it wasn't really my business. I do know that total scholarships at each level are limited and believe that most coaches prioritize pitchers over all other positions. So, if you aren't a pitcher, you're likely getting a partial scholarship.

1679310292139.png

A lot of good information here: https://www.ncsasports.org/softball/scholarship-facts

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

There is a difference between the "headcount" sports (such as football) and "equivalency" sports (such as softball). The four-year full ride is more common with the headcount.

Speaking with some experience at the smaller D1 level, equivalency scholarships will move up or down with performance and the desire to retain a player. If a player comes in at a relatively low level of athletic scholarship funding and does well, their scholarship is likely to get bumped up. If a player is performing poorly, they might see their scholarship reduced or eliminated the following year.

I understand your point, but I'd wager that bringing an attorney into the conversation with a softball coach would be something of a turnoff.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28