How does Stanton do it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I have asked this question before and nobody seems to want to answer or guess at it but I will try again. What % of mlb players are two legged hitters?

crickets

Jul 26, 2016
Btw don't believe in the narrative that he has a bad swing. I think his loading pattern and swing direction are not 100% efficient compared to guys like Donaldson or miggy but there are much worse swings in mlb.

I would say his swing is about mlb average which coupled with his huge power makes him one of the worst hitters. He has holes that can be exploited and he has a prolonged slump every year but if you make a mistake he is going to crush it.

Of course he isn't a "complete hitter " like miggy which shows in his batting average and strikeout rate but he still is pretty damn good.

And regarding the "ferris wheel": he does have a flat vertical angle. This is good for high pitches but bad for low ones. Btw nobody is completely vertical, most pros are 20-50 degrees. Ideally you adjust that for pitch height but most can't do that and will have a similar vertical anglemost of the time. The more ferris wheel guys like trout tend to do better low in the zone and flatter guys like beltre like the ball up.

Jul 26, 2016
Btw one legged or two legged is BS. There is no two legged swing, there is never weight on both legs but there is no pure rear legged swing either. All elite hitters have all weight on the back leg during the stride and at contact all weight is on the front leg.

The debate is just when this shift happens. One camp wants the shift into the front side initiate the turn (front leg block, I,e the Yeager model) and the other camp wants to initiate the hip turn with the weight back and then shift the weight forward during the turn.

I tend to believe the latter (opening into foot plant) but still the weight transfer occurs pretty early in the turn. It is maybe two inches of turn while still being in the back hip and then still most of the turn happens on the front leg. Basically start turn and immediately shift off the back side.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have asked this question before and nobody seems to want to answer or guess at it but I will try again. What % of mlb players are two legged hitters?

crickets

Depending who you talk to, you will get numerous different answers concerning what one-legged or two-legged actually means. Definitions vary. You will never get the answer you are looking for because there isn't one.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What definition of 'two legged' are you using?

One legged would be the Barry Bonds style swing. Falling off the barstool or over the falls where the front foot is used only for balance. Swing is the shift.

Two legged would Mookie Betts (I actually should have used him as my anti BB swing) style swing . Doesn't fall over anything and front foot(leg) is planted and used. Moves (shifts) laterally, plants foot and then swings(turns).

If the hitters mass (torso) is moving toward the pitcher laterally, where as the belly button and head are moving approximately the same distance toward the pitcher the weight is shifting. Only few use the stay back on rear foot and test the bath water with front toe style.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I have never thought of the swing as one legged or two. Is this something that is regional? I teach the swing. I don't think that there is a difference between a baseball and softball swing. There is the simply the swing. I have a way that I teach it. Others here disagree. Who cares? If your dd is doing great doing what you teach then have at it. I know what I teach works for the hitters I work with. That has been proven not only when they are working with me but also when they go off to college.

Charlie Lau, in The Art of Hitting .300 used to discuss hitting off of a platform. In The Winning Hitter, he continued his thoughts on this. Dave Hudgens brought forth the idea of "heel - toe." Englishbey, at least for me, demonstrated his version of Elvis which made sense to me. In looking in mirrors, etc, I could see how those concepts all really worked together and if you studied the back hip in those terms, you could understand the swing better. When I say, "better" again, I am referencing me as I started this journey. I've traveled a different path than other here have made. I don't keep up with the latest terms or at least change what I do per these latest schemes other than to see how they fit into what I teach. Once in a while, a great cue comes along and I'll use it. Once in a while, I see things stated differently that makes a lot of sense to me and I'll make that change. Still, you can go look at The Science of Hitting by Ted Williams and have a foundation that has stood the test of time and of which I think all hitting coaches should read.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
One legged would be the Barry Bonds style swing. Falling off the barstool or over the falls where the front foot is used only for balance. Swing is the shift.

Two legged would Mookie Betts (I actually should have used him as my anti BB swing) style swing . Doesn't fall over anything and front foot(leg) is planted and used. Moves (shifts) laterally, plants foot and then swings(turns).

If the hitters mass (torso) is moving toward the pitcher laterally, where as the belly button and head are moving approximately the same distance toward the pitcher the weight is shifting. Only few use the stay back on rear foot and test the bath water with front toe style.

Barry Bonds has a great swing. He does a lot right. Simply saying 'one-legged' doesn't describe Barry Bonds.

Please describe 'falling off the barstool'. Perhaps take Bonds and isolate this segment of his swing. Describe the action.

Please describe 'over the falls'. Where in Bonds' swing is this 'over the falls' action.

Apr 11, 2015
When we say, "forward yet back" (which I wholeheartedly agree with)...what is it that's "back", and what is that "back" in reference to wrt the body, plate, batter's box, or whatever?

I know what I believe it to be, but I also believe that that's the reason I use "one-legged" over (vs.) "two-legged". I'll just leave it at that for now, so as not to influence any of the responses to the question.

Thanks,
MB

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee