How do you rotate your catchers?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Travel
*Give each catcher full game!
*Rotate pitchers if needed in game.

2 CATCHERS on roster~
These split most of playing time with all pitchers.
To see who develops working well together. Find best combo!

+1 as a utility back up ok. that gets mixed in to keep active in the position in friendlies.
*usually this is NOT a primary position for this player.

Who's hitting can influence tournament time.
Showcasing equal time.
(usually utility at their best spot or specific spot interested college would like to see)

ADD
*PLEASE STOP ONLY PLAYING CATCHERS 2 INNINGS AT A TIME!
Need to get game experience with different situations and grow endurance!
+ Especially young ages need to get comfortable with batters swinging and ball coming in!
Catching is a leadership position should be utilized as such!

LETS THROW RUNNERS OUT!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
Why wait until then to start lifting?
Weight lifting prior to the end of puberty is ok but should be done very carefully supervised by someone used to working with younger athletes especially girls as they are much more prone to repetitive motion pars fractures from axial load lifting. Proper technique and not over lifting is key to avoiding these injuries and unfortunately most kids do not have access to trainers who truly understand this concept. My recommendation for girls that aren't 2 yrs post menstrual is to stick with body weight exercises that work on core strength as well as push ups, pull ups, resistance bands etc. Much less risk of injury and still increasing strength.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Mar 6, 2016
A lot depends on age level and league, travel ball, etc. Our local league Board decided to limit catchers to 2 innings consecutively and max of 4 innings total in 1 game. Similar to pitching limits (i.e. outs/innings) to promote more girls getting catching/pitching experience and chances.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A lot depends on age level and league, travel ball, etc. Our local league Board decided to limit catchers to 2 innings consecutively and max of 4 innings total in 1 game. Similar to pitching limits (i.e. outs/innings) to promote more girls getting catching/pitching experience and chances.
Is that 8u? Fair and reasonable.

Mar 6, 2016
Is that 8u? Fair and reasonable.
Both 8u and 10u has the limit rule. 12u has no set limitations on catchers but due to every player must sit an inning, a limit of 3 is sort of built in. Max of 24 outs per every 2 games for pitchers in 12u as well. We are a small league so depth at P and C is very thin as it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802