How do you keep team from taking step back when you lose #1 pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
I help coach a 13U travel team (which we've had together since 10U). We had the luxury of a stud pitcher this year and even though we were young team we finally broke through after a few years of work to win a few14U tournaments.

We are losing that pitcher this fall (she's our only girl moving up to 16U-she was a luxury this year and helped us become better all-around) and it's looking likely we won't be able to find an equal replacement (not a lot of #1s around).

So here's my question: how do you keep a team from falling backwards when your pitching (likely) takes a step back? We have what I'd say are a number 2 and a 3 (more likely a 4). We'll certainly work to develop them, but neither have the natural ability the girl we are losing had.

Anyone had this experience? How do we compensate? We are really well-positioned to be a very good team this year, but a lack of a clear stud on the mound will no doubt hurt us.

TKS!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wonder where you are located and what opportunities your players have to get to great instructors? At age 14, it is a wonderful time, for the pitchers to step up their game. I would bring in the best coach within 2 hours away and have them work with the pitchers and catchers, as much as financially possible. Then, encourage the girls to eat, sleep and dream softball. I would want them to run a little, swim (not just play in the pool), or do another physical activity.

A smart pitcher does not have to be a stud, so to speak.

Sep 17, 2009
Amy, I agree that should be the plan for our two returning pitchers, I do have another side (from the OP) that worries we may be selling them short, and may have relied too much on our #1 rather than push the other two to excel. Probably time for them to step up to the opportunity, and us to stop being lazy do to the luxury of having an ace this season...tks.

Jun 22, 2008
My daughters first experience in travel ball was when she was 13 on a team of 12 year olds and one other 13 year old. While she wasnt a pitcher, she and the other 13 year old were 2 of the better outfielders and hitters on the team. At the end of the season my daughter and the older girl moved on to other teams and the rest stayed down and played another year of 14's. Her first coach later told me he wished he had just kept the entire team together and moved them all up to 16U rather then let the team split up. Has your coach ever thought about moving the whole team up to keep them together?

Sep 17, 2009
Comp, we've talked about it. We are part of a program that already has two other 16U teams, would be hard. We've also been building to this "breakout" year for some time, playing USSSA and "B" tournaments as 13Us (and doing well) and aiming to jump to full "A" ball next year, which is why I worry about doing it without our best pitcher. TKS

Jul 5, 2011
Your "breakout" year was because you replaced your #1 pitcher from last year with an older, more talented girl. If your coach plans to move everybody up with the "stud" there isn't a problem, however, if he wants to stay down and there are no studs to replace her, he did your other pitchers a disservice by giving their innings away to a rental player.

Sep 17, 2009
Kind of harsh smallball, but probably some truth in it. She's still in the program, she just moved up. The rest of the team did progress this year by being more competitive. Answers are probably easy--work harder develop more players. TKS.

Jul 26, 2010
So the team had a weak defense hiding behind a great pitcher and now suddenly does not know how to handle it?

Softball lesson #32:

Unless your daughter is a pitcher or playing college ball, never play on a team with an amazing pitcher. Defenders do not improve when a high ratio of outs come on K's.

I say what you do now is what you should have been doing all along. Teach softball.

-W

Sep 17, 2009
Starsnuffer, I didn't say we had a weak defense. And thanks for assuming we don't know how to teach softball. I said we had a good season and the team progressed, benefiting from an excellent pitcher, learning how to win, play in big games, etc. And now faces new challenges. I'm sure we're not the only team to lose girls from year to year. OK then, tks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812