How do you interpret this note from a coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
We have a recruiting coordinator for our travel team who recently spoke to a D3 coach re: my DD (who is a 2022). I thought this perspective was interesting and informative (this is from a email to us from our coordinator re: his conversation with the coach):

"Spoke with [Coach]. He lit up when I mentioned [DD]. Said he really liked her and saw a big future for her. Definitely felt there was a fit between her and his team. Said she meshed well with the players as well as playing well. Would love to see her continue to come back for camps and build their relationship. Said he had been burned by two GA kids recently so they are gun shy on the state but definitely was willing to invest the time on [DD] if she was truly interested in [his school]. Still working on 2021 through May and then will turn to 2022 with more focus after that."

Point being: they are interested, but also have been burned by kids recently, particularly kids in my state. No one wants to be a bridesmaid, but not a bride. She shouldn't say she would accept an offer unless she would, but she should express continued interest and maybe even ask directly about scheduling a visit. Be direct.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Why wouldn't the coach just come out and ask if there's a reason you are driving hours to get to campus for camps and sending me your schedule every week, other than you are interested in my school?

Do you realize how many players and their families weren't lucky enough to have heard of, and found, this site to ask the questions you are asking? There are tens of thousands of players and their families each year that take the "shotgun approach" to recruiting. They want feedback from your DD to verify that she's truly interested so that they aren't wasting their time as opposed to one of those "shotgun" families.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2015
USA
Our team and coaches think you are very talented, both offensively and defensively. We think you would make a significant impact to our team as a freshman. Have a good Christmas.
Sounds pretty straight forward. It sounds like they are interested and believe she can step in right away and play. It's up to your DD to take it from here if she is interested. Also don't expect official visits at every school that is interested. DD and I visited 4 schools, combination of D2 and D3. All were out of state and 3 of the 4 required flying there. Paid for all of them myself.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
She's got another camp this weekend, then we will assess and she will reach out. Thanks for all the input/advice.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
She's got another camp this weekend, then we will assess and she will reach out. Thanks for all the input/advice.
Why would you wait, and what is there to assess when this school is in your DD's top 3? Your DD should respond within 24 hours of any correspondence from coaches. Doesn't matter what she says. She should at minimum acknowledge the coach. If she doesn't respond, someone else will. Lack of communication from your DD indicates No Interest.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
Why would you wait, and what is their to assess when this school is in your DD's top 3? Your DD should respond within 24 hours of any correspondence from coaches. Doesn't matter what she says. She should at minimum acknowledge the coach. If she doesn't respond, someone else will. Lack of communication from your DD indicates No Interest.
This. If a coach doesn’t think they’ll be able to get a player they are going to move on. I think sending a response saying that this school is in her top 3 and that she’s going to be narrowing that down over the next few months. I’d view no response as no interest

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana

Let me first say that I have no present day experience with recruiting other than when I was much much younger but this comment reminds me A LOT of when I am training new salesmen. If a potential customer calls in for information, I tell them they need to try to make contact within the hour if possible, but at the absolute maximum 24hrs after. It shows you are punctual, engaged, and actually care about their business. We all know how busy life is. You say I’ll call them back and then you get busy with something, get distracted with something else, then it’s too late to call back, and. before you know it you are busy with another day of the same things. If a potential customer calls (or in her case takes the time to hand write a note) they obviously have a sincere interest so it’s best for her to contact the coach right away to let them know she received the card and appreciates the holiday wishes, and wanted to know if he could tell her more about how the recruiting process is for his program.

Sep 17, 2009
Since your DD is early in the journey if nothing else this is good practice -- respond, engage, see what happens and get some experience dealing with coaches/schools. The fact that this is in her top 3 makes this much more exciting but even responding to random coaches early on helps you learn about the process. Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28