How do you interpret this note from a coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
DD got an email similar to that at the D3 she is now a sophomore at.
Her response was something to the tune of "you are my top choice right now", she continued talking to the coach throughout the rest of her junior year but did not officially commit until that summer.
She definitely made an impact right away last year as a freshman playing center field and batting lead off.

DD did not go on an overnight until the fall of her senior year, the coach doesn't do them before. I'd have her ask about it, I know a few girls who never did overnights and realized that they didn't like the school after they were already there

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Are you all saying that you don't get "offered" official visits? You have to ask for them? I guess our assumption has been if a school is really interested, they will reach out and invite her to go to campus an official visit.

For most players 'Official Visits' are really at the end of the recruiting for a school - it is like the very last step. You have done all the conversations, camps, attending games, talking to coaches, etc, etc, things already. There is already extensive interest expressed from both sides and it getting to a final decision point. But all official visit really means is that the school is picking up some or all of the cost - you can take as many campus/unofficial visits as you want. It is also a senior year activity rather than junior year - and in most divisions it is regulated that way.

I would say 80% of our players get an offer/roster spot on their official visit. Many have already committed and it is a 'getting to know your future teammates" versus a choosing a school thing.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Maybe this explains why I was bad at dating. I would assume they would know she's interested since she's been to camp there twice in 3 months and also sends the coach her schedule every week.

Are you all saying that you don't get "offered" official visits? You have to ask for them? I guess our assumption has been if a school is really interested, they will reach out and invite her to go to campus an official visit.
If you want to play hard to get and make the team work for it, good luck.

If your dd is interested in this school, she should pick up the phone and call.

Softball recruiting isn’t like football or basketball where the coaches are slobbering all over themselves and each other to get a recruit.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I would sent him a personalized Christmas card with a photo of DD in front of the tree in uniform. Merry Christmas and hoping for a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Dec 6, 2019
If you want to play hard to get and make the team work for it, good luck.

If your dd is interested in this school, she should pick up the phone and call.

Softball recruiting isn’t like football or basketball where the coaches are slobbering all over themselves and each other to get a recruit.

Whoa! I don't see where any of this is playing hard to get. Here I thought going to camps and sending her schedule every week was the opposite of playing hard to get. So much to learn I guess. Maybe we'll get it right for the 2nd kid.

Dec 6, 2019
Yeah, the school is asking for demonstrated interest from your daughter.

Why wouldn't the coach just come out and ask if there's a reason you are driving hours to get to campus for camps and sending me your schedule every week, other than you are interested in my school?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Why wouldn't the coach just come out and ask if there's a reason you are driving hours to get to campus for camps and sending me your schedule every week, other than you are interested in my school?
Because experience tells the coach that not everyone who does all these things is really serious about his/her school.

Lots of answers here, many from parents who have been though it, and they are pretty much unanimous. The ball is in your court, make the phone call. Don’t over think it. The fastest way to an answer is your dd talking to the coach.

Dec 6, 2019
Because experience tells the coach that not everyone who does all these things is really serious about his/her school.

Lots of answers here, many from parents who have been though it, and they are pretty much unanimous. The ball is in your court, make the phone call. Don’t over think it. The fastest way to an answer is your dd talking to the coach.

I get you. Make the phone call and say what? She wouldn't commit to that school at this point.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I get you. Make the phone call and say what? She wouldn't commit to that school at this point.
Why does your dd have this school in her top 3? Is it 3rd but way down the list of 1 and 2? Does this school support the academic path your dd wants to take? Do you need scholarship money (academic)...?

Lots of unknowns.

How about she calls and says I’m really interested and would like to know more about the school and the program. Ask questions, a one on one conversation will say a lot more then attending 2 camps will. Ask them what the recruiting process looks like for that school/coach.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28