How do you interpret this note from a coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2019
Daughter is a junior/2021. She attended a camp recently at a D3 school she is interested in. She had a good camp there previously, and the coach has seen her play in person once. A short time after the recent camp, she received a handwritten note from the coach, which said roughly the following (I'm paraphrasing):

Our team and coaches think you are very talented, both offensively and defensively. We think you would make a significant impact to our team as a freshman. Have a good Christmas.

That's it. What are we supposed to do with that??? Is it lacking specifics because she's a junior and it's D3? If they wanted to, could they schedule an official visit now that would take place after January 1? Or does this mean she should expect to be contacted after January 1 for an official visit. Or should we expect coaches to be overly complimentary, but light on specifics, until next fall? This school is currently in her top 3.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Especially since it's one of her top schools, I strongly suggest responding ASAP. Get a line of communication going.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Our team and coaches think you are very talented, both offensively and defensively. We think you would make a significant impact to our team as a freshman. Have a good Christmas.

In dating terms this is "I am interested in you, are you interested in me?"

That's it. What are we supposed to do with that???

They are asking your DD directly to answer the question "How interested are you in coming here? Where do we stand?". So if your DD really has this school in her top 3, she should pick up the phone and tell them that "Yes, I want to come here. How do we make that happen?".

One of the things in D3 is that they lose a LOT of talented players who say they are interested but when the D2 or D1 school comes calling they bail for athletic scholarship money or the lure of a higher division. So many D3 coaches can be a little shy about being "all-in" on a player as a junior. It is why they often go full-court press on seniors versus juniors - because they are wary about investing a lot of time on a player.

Also a lot of D3's (not all) are very academically focused, so quite often while the softball coach wants you, they are EXTREMELY worried that a player can get past the admissions process. And admissions normally wants the junior transcript before giving them a read on the likelihood of admitting a student. That can be a big deal especially if this a NEWMAC/NESCAS D3 or similar school.

So your DD should contact the coach directly, tell the coach she is REALLY interested and it will flow from there.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2019
Maybe this explains why I was bad at dating. I would assume they would know she's interested since she's been to camp there twice in 3 months and also sends the coach her schedule every week.

Are you all saying that you don't get "offered" official visits? You have to ask for them? I guess our assumption has been if a school is really interested, they will reach out and invite her to go to campus an official visit.

Dec 6, 2019
Sounds pretty specific to me. They are casting their bait line and seeing whether or not your DD will bite. What are you waiting for? Have your DD pick up the phone and call the coach! Doesn't matter if it's unofficial or official. Get to campus, get your tour and get the offer. Boom!

We want her to be able to spend a night in a dorm. That makes it "official," right?

Jul 27, 2015
Sounds pretty specific to me. They are casting their bait line and seeing whether or not your DD will bite. What are you waiting for? Have your DD pick up the phone and call the coach! Doesn't matter if it's unofficial or official. Get to campus, get your tour and get the offer. Boom!

That is exactly how it has worked for us.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We want her to be able to spend a night in a dorm. That makes it "official," right?

That needs to be discussed with the coach. Spending the night in the dorm doesn't mean anything. Not all D3 schools give "official" visits and also include an overnight. My DD got offered in the fall of her Jr. year on an unofficial visit and it was a day trip. You can take as many unofficial visits that you want. You can only take 5 official visits TOTAL.

Dec 6, 2019
I believe that it's only 5 official visits to D1 schools, and an unlimited number (though only one per) to D2 and D3 schools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802