How do you hit the unhittable? Please help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2009
well look at it like this. if you faced their #1 pitcher twice and haven't faced their #2 pitcher, then you're awfully good. They must feel threatened by you if they aren't willing to take the chance of pitching their #2

May 25, 2010
Our rec league has no rules on innings pitched. You can throw the same pitcher every inning of every game for the entire season, if you like.

Does this sound like a good idea to you?

I'm especially interested in Amy's take here. I mean, if a girl gets 15 outs on 15 pitches, then I'm not going to suggest her innings be limited. But should 9yo girls be throwing 90-100 pitches a game 3 days in a row?

Common sense is telling me one thing, but you guys have more knowledge about the physiology of this motion than I do.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Does this sound like a good idea to you?

I'm especially interested in Amy's take here. I mean, if a girl gets 15 outs on 15 pitches, then I'm not going to suggest her innings be limited. But should 9yo girls be throwing 90-100 pitches a game 3 days in a row?

Common sense is telling me one thing, but you guys have more knowledge about the physiology of this motion than I do.

Well, we usually don't play that many games. Our rec schedule is set up so we have games on Friday and Sunday. One game each night. However, tournament is different. Our 10U has two pitchers and they ride one of them. If we make it to the finals, she will throw three games in two days. However, she plays for THREE different teams at 10U so I doubt that would be an issue for her.

I don't think it's a good idea for the younger groups, especially. They aren't able to build up other pitchers because they are focused on the win. However, we just don't have the pitchers at any level. No one wants to pitch around here anymore.

May 20, 2010
another so cal dad here....
in our last season we had 6 teams and each team had their number one pitcher hitting at least 45. one girl was hitting at least 47 and topping off at around 51. the rest of the girls, 45 easily. #2 pitchers weren't that fast but they were putting in strike after strike. i believe 4 of those pitchers are moving into 10u's.

with your situation, what about maybe complaining about IP. even if she's not to, try to shake her mental. i know it's kind of lame to do with an 8u but if she's that fast, maybe she shouldn't be there to begin with?!?

May 25, 2010
another so cal dad here....
in our last season we had 6 teams and each team had their number one pitcher hitting at least 45. one girl was hitting at least 47 and topping off at around 51. the rest of the girls, 45 easily. #2 pitchers weren't that fast but they were putting in strike after strike. i believe 4 of those pitchers are moving into 10u's.

with your situation, what about maybe complaining about IP. even if she's not to, try to shake her mental. i know it's kind of lame to do with an 8u but if she's that fast, maybe she shouldn't be there to begin with?!?

So you have multiple 8u pitchers throwing almost 50mph 'easily'?

May 20, 2010
one breaking into the 50's but let me reword....not easily but consistently.
the rest of #1 pitchers are 45's...somewhere around there. #2 pitchers are not as fast but accurate. of course at this age, it's only one pitch which is fastball. #1 pitchers are already throwing chang ups but with no confidence.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
I live in SoCal. My DD is 15 and goes to a well respected pitching coach in Orange County who has a radar gun in his cage with a display at the top.
Everyone can see the MPH for the pitchers that are in his cage.
In the 3 years that we've been going there I have only seen 1 high school pitcher hit over 60 mph consistently.
Very few HIGH School pitchers averaging 57-59. The Majority of High school girls are hitting 53-57 mph.
I find it difficult to believe that a 9 YO is consistently throwing over 50 mph unless she is 6 feet tall.
Sorry but I'm not buying it.

May 9, 2010
Our team faced this pitcher over the weekend. We handed her and her team their first loss of the allstar season. Our girls worked hard during the week knowing that they would face her during the tournament. One of our coaches saw the girl pitch during warmup. They had a radar gun and on her which indicated 45 mph. I'm sure during game situations she throws faster. More than 50? I doubt it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802