How do you fix this blown call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 8, 2019
First, the umpire in question readily admitted he blew the call. Second, he made plenty more mistakes.

The situation
Semifinal USA Softball rules tourney game, two outs, runners at 1st and 2nd (largely inconsequential to the play). Batter has two strikes, and lays down a two-strike bunt. Umpire calls dead ball, mistakenly thinking that the batter is out on the attempt alone (new and learning blue). We thought that the ball must have made contact with B1 or bat making it foul, and therefore the out. Defense clears field, offense grabs gloves and takes fielding positions, but no warm up pitches thrown..

B1's coach realizes that ball was fair (call by blue was dead ball, not foul ball), and did not contact anything, and protests. Umpire acknowledges the mistake, but does not know how to fix it.

After about 10 minutes (really) in a 1:15 no new inning limit game, the decision was nothing can be done, move on to the next half inning. B1 coach wanted a do over (two runners on and power hitter on deck).

What is the correct fix?

May 29, 2015
No fix ... it was the correct reaction on the umpire’s part to an incorrect call.

Once everybody left the field and the (then)offense assumed the field it is too late. Warm up pitches don’t play a factor.

Pretty bad call on New Blue’s part, but the offensive coach is the one who blew it.

Had OC stopped things right then and there ... I would say the only fix is a “do-over” since New Blue ruled the ball dead. I hate that term and application, however no play played out, so you can’t apply any judgment as to what may have happened.

May 1, 2018
I wouldn't do it or expect to do it. But you could put the batter on first maybe. But yeah just bad news

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I wouldn't do it or expect to do it. But you could put the batter on first maybe. But yeah just bad news

Barring an intervention by a protest committee, this would be the only permissible resolution based on the rules

May 29, 2015

I contemplated this, but I generally wouldn’t go down that road. I suppose, if it was caught at the right time AND the play had played out as if the umpire’s call not hindered the offense or defense (i.e., no player stopped due to his call or it was obvious there was no play to be made) you could exercise that discretion. If ANY player stopped, it is near impossible to offer judgement on what would have happened.

Jan 8, 2019
I would not have let that happen. I knew the rules enough to know that was not an option. Besides, it may have been a good bunt, but our catcher was ready to make the play, and their big hitter was up next.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom