How do you choose a 2nd pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 22, 2013
My dd threw her 1st change up in a rec game at age 9. There were only 2 or 3 people in the stands that could tell that a change up had been thrown. I taught her to release the ball when she brushed from the very get go. When she brushed with her fastball, her pinky finger was closest to her hip. When she brushed with her changeup, her thumb was closest to her hip. This was 15 years ago before DFP was around, but even then, I had her brushing at the same point(release point) on her body, but with two different parts of the arm brushing the body and two different grips. Her fast ball grip was grabbing the C and her change up grip was the horseshoe grip and trying not to have any light between the ball and her hand. Her arm speed and release points were the same, the difference was with the fastball, her bicep was engaged and she was pulling the ball down and with the change up her bicep was disengaged when she turned the ball over and brushed with her forearm with her thumb between her body and the ball.

For the dad that took high school weight lifting, it would be the difference in strength between doing a bicep curl and a tricep push down. The bicep(fastball) is so much more powerful than the tricep(change up). It ends up being two different pitches, two different grips, two different hand positions at release, two different parts of the arm brushing, same arm speed and same brush release point.

Mar 11, 2019
@coachjames

Do you teach all your kids the same style change?

My daughter also struggling, finally has good control and command of brush and I/R but her PC keeps trying to teach her the flip change. Took forever to get her consistent with Palm up at 9, but her PC wants ball to 2nd at 9 for the flip change... can’t get close with that pitch and it’s starting to mess with the consistency of her fastball mechanics.

I looked into paulys change but couldn’t get much info, maybe circle or something would be better for youngsters? (10u)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2015
When she brushed with her fastball, her pinky finger was closest to her hip. When she brushed with her changeup, her thumb was closest to her hip. This was 15 years ago before DFP was around, but even then, I had her brushing at the same point(release point) on her body, but with two different parts of the arm brushing the body and two different grips. Her fast ball grip was grabbing the C and her change up grip was the horseshoe grip and trying not to have any light between the ball and her hand. Her arm speed and release points were the same

Much wisdom here.

Jan 28, 2017
When talking 3 years- being able to
@coachjames

Do you teach all your kids the same style change?

My daughter also struggling, finally has good control and command of brush and I/R but her PC keeps trying to teach her the flip change. Took forever to get her consistent with Palm up at 9, but her PC wants ball to 2nd at 9 for the flip change... can’t get close with that pitch and it’s starting to mess with the consistency of her fastball mechanics.

I looked into paulys change but couldn’t get much info, maybe circle or something would be better for youngsters? (10u)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a PC but our PC teaches several different change ups. He normally starts with the flip change. My DD for about two years would throw one that she got on the side of it and it would run. He would say good pitch but that's not how you throw it. I always thought it was better than the flip. After about two years he walked down and said I'm probably going to mess her up but she is old enough now. He told her to try and get on the side of the ball and spin it like crazy. Finish with your pinky on your front hip. A lot of movement and more control day one but according to him most girls can't throw it that way/

Nov 18, 2013
What works for one kid may not be best for another. Be wary of any advice that says you “have to” do anything a certain way. A change-up is the most common second pitch followed by a drop. Don’t sweat it if your kid is different. Her best second pitch will be the one that comes most natural to her.

Jan 28, 2017
PC taught my DD 1. FB in and out 2. Change 3. Curve 4. Drop 5. Screw 6. Rise. Some people don't like curve and screw. Some will say drop first. PC believes that curve helps with rise and is a good pitch. My DD has a really good change and curve. She throws the turnover drop and it's good some days and not so good others. All the other girls that he works with throws the peel drop. I have never asked him why he taught my DD the turnover instead of peel. Rise is going to be pretty good but still a work in progress. Screw is her worst pitch and supposed to be easy to learn. I'm not a big screwball fan but with her curve and change moving away, I think it could really help her.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478