How do you calm your team before and during games?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
in terms of batters box......have the girls develop a routine......we push a little dirt to 'clear away' a previous AB or pitch......we step one foot out to get signs while taking 3 deep breaths (deep breathing does elicit a physiological response of calming)......step back in box, focus on something small (paint ship on plate, pebble) then bring that focus to the pitcher

they can do the same in the field......find a routine for your fielders......catcher calls out situation, everyone moves to position, deep breaths....pitcher starts motion, they go into their creep or hop or whatever they do pre pitch

pitchers better have a routine in the circle.....they should be OCD enough that they do the same thing every time right down to knowing if they like their breath all the way in when they throw, all the way out, halfway......if they don't, get them to develop the routine

i've found that the routine helps eliminate stress.......when things go bad, or off script, or even when something great happens......their ability to return to and focus on routine keeps them grounded

i am a reformed joysticker for sure......so now when i say something, or when i get excited or give some one a verbal kick in the seat, it has impact and is necessary.......i've even found myself at times forcing myself to get "angry" and "yell" if i feel that's what they need at that time......we've also done a lot of work at practice focusing on their communication skills (starbursts as a reward worked well haha) and getting them to think and own the game and talk to each other

over the years i've also stressed that they will pick each other up when some one misses a play.......they've gotta flush the turd and be confident that a) they will make the next play and b) their teammates will pick them up.......we've talked a lot about being bar fighters, standing back to back taking on all comers......and they've really started to buy into this concept......we also have used the Proactive coaching covenants for desired behaviors, and have done some work with keeping each other positive and displaying behaviors and reactions that help the team vs hurt it

it all takes time, and the psychological side of coaching i think becomes more and more important as they age.......we are first year 16u now, and while there is difference in talent for sure, most girls at this age can play.......the teams that like playing with each other, that like fighting for each other, that are in a good place mentally and are strong mentally, do better

one thing i've always heard and preached and agree with: there are (generally speaking) fundamental differences in coaching female athletes and male athletes......often times males need to win to be happy, females need to be happy to win........now i'm not saying boys that are happy might not win more, or that everyone is the same.......but we've really tried to focus on the "happy" piece, to the point of where we really consider all aspects of a player before adding them, including their parents, because of this idea........we have girls that like working together at this point, and it works

i'm rambling at this point.......but aside from what everyone has said at this point, i'd work on developing routines that everyone can fall back on, a mental rallying point in a skirmish, so to speak......and take a look at some of the proactive coaching stuff, it really focuses on positive behaviors we WANT to see, and can help teach athletes to head off the issues before they become issues

May 20, 2015
one other point......unless we are playing back to back tournament games, we have had the EXACT same pregrame warmup for 7 years now.......we report to the field "X" number of minutes early (and i take them EARLY even if we don't warm up exactly at that time, gets them away from everyone else and with coaches & players).....we go through the exact same routine right down to when i put on the eye black, to the point of they will remind me 'coach, are you going to do eye black!?"

this is just another routine, and we do it the same whether it's first game of the weekend or last game (obviously back to back changes things)......and this really, really helps them prepare mentally

Sep 17, 2009
Why be calm ? ;)
I think this is dead-on. I don't think calm/not calm is what you are looking at. It's confident/not confident or more bluntly not-scared/scared. A team (and individual players) needs to believe it can win/succeed. They need at least a bit of swagger. I find with girls they have a pretty good BS meter when it comes to this, not as much false bravado as boys. Your team may feel a bit over-matched or maybe moving up to a new level they aren't quite comfortable with (I am NOT trying to diagnose let alone 'dis' your team, it's just what I've experienced).

The best (only?) way to build true confidence IMO is through experience and success on the field. How to get there? Just keep them working hard. I also like to talk honestly to girls about where they are at, where we/they want to get to and who they need to get through to get there. Share their progress as much as their accomplishments. And yes, keep the parents at bay :)

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
This is a game. Sometimes we win and sometimes we lose.

Players: We catch; we throw; we hit; we run. We succeed; we fail; we learn.

Coaches: We teach; we help; we analyze; we try to make heroes. We succeed; we fail; we learn.

TEAM: We play hard. We succeed; we fail; we learn.

Edit: This game has so many ways to challenge our self-esteem. We can only do our best as we succeed; we fail; we learn.

Attitude is everything.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
When I was playing a few centuries ago, I found this concept to be troubling in my teammates. I can't think of anytime I was nervous with the exception of asking my wife to marry me and the birth of my child. In competition, I always thought I would do well and win. When I stepped up to the plate, I never felt like I was going to fail. Cocky? I guess you could say that.

When I became a coach, I ran into this right away and in multiple sports. I had a plan to deal with this but what works for me might now work for others. I say this because in modeling my approach, I think my players feed off of that. I've posted many times that my practices are intense. That is an understatement. I start each practice with a 5 minute talk about what we are going to achieve that day in practice. I mention our weaknesses and that we are addressing them. I privately do that with my players as well. When the hit, for instance, their drill work is specific and they know I'm watching when they practice. They need to be focused. I am focused. When practice is done, I briefly, under 5 minutes cover what we accomplished that day. When we go to play a game, I say, "Nervous? Nervous is for people who don't practice. We practiced hard this week. Few players could do what you did this week. Let's let the other team be nervous." During practice, I say a few dozen times, "Repetition is no fun but it's the reason we have won." Players are often asked to complete this quote, "Take one day off and you know it. ..." They respond, "Take one day off and you know it. Take two days off and your opponent knows it. Take three days off and everyone knows it." I ask them how many days have they taken off and then I always make sure to tell them we don't take days off.

When my teams take the field, they know they belong on that field and are equal to their opponents in every way. They believe in me and my ability to coach and I believe in them and their abilities. From there, I believe that a good coach/teacher gives 8 positives to any negative. That is how you prepare a team to play and in any sport.

NBECoach

Learning everyday
Aug 9, 2018
Why are players nervous before and during a game? They are afraid to fail. Yet this game has failure designed into it. I agree with Cannonball. The key is preparation. This involves demonstration, repetition, correction, followed by correct repetition. It can become boring and mundane, but when you are faced with the situation in game, you have been there and practiced it. The game slows down and the players know what to do with the ball defensively.

Offensively know your weaknesses (be honest) and work on them. It may take a while but you cannot get better at a weakness unless you acknowledge it and work to improve them.

Mental preparation is also important. Show strength as a coach. Be over-prepared. Words of wisdom based in reality to the players before they take the field. Respect the umpires, the players are watching. Above all show class win or lose. It says alot about you and your team.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If the players are too scared, worried, nervous, whatever you want to call it.
And after 2 games the coach is worried about it. The coaches might need to look at how they are Reacting to mistakes. The players feed off that and reflect it back.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Why are players nervous before and during a game? They are afraid to fail. Yet this game has failure designed into it. I agree with Cannonball. The key is preparation. This involves demonstration, repetition, correction, followed by correct repetition. It can become boring and mundane, but when you are faced with the situation in game, you have been there and practiced it. The game slows down and the players know what to do with the ball defensively.

Offensively know your weaknesses (be honest) and work on them. It may take a while but you cannot get better at a weakness unless you acknowledge it and work to improve them.

Mental preparation is also important. Show strength as a coach. Be over-prepared. Words of wisdom based in reality to the players before they take the field. Respect the umpires, the players are watching. Above all show class win or lose. It says alot about you and your team.
You make a fantastic point about the umpires. None of us are perfect and neither are umpires. I've found that if you cut the umpire some slack and be "professional" about how you approach some difference of opinion, you can really improve the play of your team. Decisions good and bad are a part of the game. You have to make sure your team is above the crutch of the blame game. I often say we have to be so good we can overcome any obstacle in a game. I also like your comment about how you lose. First if you lose, lose with class. However, don't lose the lesson. You lost. Therefore, our next practice, we are going to fix those problems.

Sep 17, 2009
THIS is the biggest issue, I believe. What do you work on? The things you are good at or the things you are bad at? You have to honestly assess where a player and your team is, tell them, and then work on THOSE things that they do POORLY until they get better. Many players and teams do the opposite because it doesn't feel good. It's not fun. Can't hit 60 off a pitching machine? Machines suck they are unfair we don't use them. Don't consistently block behind the plate don't worry most pitches never hit the dirt. Overthrow cuts in practice it's ok keep things moving. Practice to perfection and work to perfect what you are worst at. Don't accept less. Set standards.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
If the players are too scared, worried, nervous, whatever you want to call it.
And after 2 games the coach is worried about it. The coaches might need to look at how they are Reacting to mistakes. The players feed off that and reflect it back.
Not saying this is you Frost033, but so many coaches act as if they hit .800 and had .999 fielding percentage while they are chastising a kid in front of teammates or showing disappointment in their body language.

Kids need to understand failure is a major component of this game and they need to be putting in their best effort on the present task in the game.

Truly believe coaches need to prepare a lineup on individual strengths so the kids have best chance to be a hero.

Turn loose their individuality.

Maybe a new warm up exercise 🥳

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K