How do you ask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2012
NC
My DD is a pitcher. We have been asked to guest play for another team. Not really to pitch but as a fill in for some hurt players. This is a team she has pitched against in the past and beat,but we are not looking to take mound time away from the regular pitchers.

My question is how do we ask our regular coach for permission to play? Don't want to do it behind the back.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Dont ask...tell him.
You are in charge of your path. As far as the fill in team, it needs to be crystal clear right up front that its temporary and will take a backseat to the primary teams schedule.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Many times, the coach already has a policy on this subject. Do you know what it is? Or, have other girls already guest played? If you are happy with the team you are on, I would inquire as to how he feels. Some say "yes." Some say "no."

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Our policy was we always encouraged the girls to pick up if we weren't playing. I think it's good for them to play for other teams for the experience how things work with others. Matter of fact we would send out emails to fellow coaches saying "were not scheduled to play ____ ____, if you need a player(s) for pick up let us know".

As far as telling in your question, I'd simply say "coach since we aren't playing the weekend of ______ we are picking up with ______ to get some dirt time, only because of the vacancy". If a coach runs a good program and keeps his players happy he has nothing to fear.

Mar 29, 2012
Any roster concerns? If your DD is already rostered on a team then she can't play for another team in same age bracket n the org she is rostered with correct?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I would check with your head coach to see if there is a team or organization policy on playing pickup. Some coaches, especially ones with high level teams, are not keen on the idea of their players playing pickup - especially their pitchers! We have a #4 pitcher on my DD team who we encourage to play pickup to get some mound time, but the #1-2 we really do not want them playing pickup, or other sports, or snow skiing, or riding skateboards, or mountain biking, ect......

Apr 11, 2012
I would check with your head coach to see if there is a team or organization policy on playing pickup. Some coaches, especially ones with high level teams, are not keen on the idea of their players playing pickup - especially their pitchers! We have a #4 pitcher on my DD team who we encourage to play pickup to get some mound time, but the #1-2 we really do not want them playing pickup, or other sports, or snow skiing, or riding skateboards, or mountain biking, ect......

I've been on both sides of this fence....two years ago, I was an AC and the HC went off on me when I told him my DD was asked to guess play for a club team the was considered the "evil empire" around these parts, I caved and she did not play....later in the year was asked again....this time I only informed him she WAS guest playing....then a few months later (1 1/2 ago) we joined that "evil empire" and haven't looked back since....

but i can understand some policies against players guest playing for other teams....as sometimes those players want to stay....

459'smom

Eat sleep& breathe sofbal
Feb 25, 2013
We always tell a new coach that we WILL BE picking up from time to time if the primary team isn't playing. We are clear primary team will always come first, but if a coach doesn't want her picking up then he's probably not the coach for us. Sometimes a team chooses to take off 2 weeks to 2 months during November to February, and we prefer to keep playing as much as possible.

I would TELL the coach very nicely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12