How Do Various States Select All-District and All-State HS Players?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Does anyone know of any formula or method that any HS associations use to determine All-State selections?

What stats do they use, if any?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Does anyone know of any formula or method that any HS associations use to determine All-State selections?

What stats do they use, if any?

I know a number of players are actually selected sight unseen so, IMO, it seems to be part reputation, part statistics (accurate, inflated, or otherwise), part past performance, part actual performance, and, of course, part politics. Many are no brainer picks while others seem to be brain scratcher picks. IMO, its next to impossible to get it right at any level including major league sports. I say kudos to those selected, but also recognize that there often are more deserving players not selected!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
In our state the nominees are selected by their performance at the particular level of play. ( district-all state ) The opposing coaches pick from our team, and our coach picks from the other teams. Yes I agree the 'studs' are well known by name before they even take the field. There have been times where a player has sucked all season but played the series of her life during playoffs and gotten an award.

Funny thing is pitchers are usually a shoe in. Doesn't matter if they pitch a no hitter or give up 10 runs. I guess coaches have to keep their divas happy. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478